Part 13 - Promise

Today is one of those days when I feel the urge to be productive. It's the feeling I got waking up and I'm staying with it all day. After doing all my chores, finishing my shift and managing to study I decide to go for a run. I'm not the most athletic person but whenever I find time I run and workout in my room. During my run I notice my phone ringing and sigh when I see it's Tony.

The one time I decide to run he has to call me.

I stop running and take a few seconds to catch my breath before answering. After all, we haven't talked in 4 days. Last time I saw him was at the Avengers tower that morning after the party.

"Hello" I say.

"Hey, sweetheart, is this a good time?" he sounds happy.

"Kinda. I was just running"

"And I was wondering why you sounded so out of breath" he chuckles.

"Where are you exactly?" he asks.

"At a park near the university" I don't know the exact name to tell him.

"You don't mind me tracking you and coming over, do you?" I'm not sure if my answer would really change his mind.

"No" I roll my eyes.

"Great, I found you" he says with excitement.

"It's not the best idea, though. It will take you much time to drive here, I'll need to be back by then" I explain.

"Who says I'm driving?" he asks and I swear he's smirking.

"You're not-" I start saying but stop speaking immediately.

That's because I can see from far the Iron Man suit flying towards me. It literally takes him seconds to arrive and land here in the most confident way. The few people around us get shocked and start whispering as soon as they also notice. And I do the same.

It's the first time I'm seeing the Iron Man suit in person.

"Hey there" he says and his mask disappears only for me to see him smirk.

"Hey" I say, utterly stunned.

"Like what you see?" he asks with a playful tone.

"Obviously" I say and my eyes light up.

"You can touch it if you want" he teases me.

"Tony!" I laugh and shake my head.

"I mean the suit, you dirty mind" he laughs with me.

I approach him and run my hand up and down the suit. It's so strong and looks so shiny and well designed. There are so many details I hadn't noticed before.

"It looks so great" I say amazed.

"Wait until you see it in action" he raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to it" I look up into his eyes and we're both smirking.

"Can we go somewhere more private? We need to talk about something" he says and I nod.

We go further into the park looking for a place not many people are and we stop. Tony looks a little nervous if I'm being honest but I'll have to wait to hear him out.

"You look great" he says looking at me up and down.

"No, I don't. I'm sweaty and tired" I disagree.

"I like you sweaty and tired" he smirks, making me blush.

"Genuine question, why don't you go to a gym? I hate running" he continues.

"Because I'm not going to go very frequently and it'll be a waste of my not so unlimited money" I explain.

"You can use mine. It's free and you get to workout with me" he smiles.

"That actually doesn't sound so bad, I might consider it" I reply after thinking about it.

"Can't wait" he sounds happy.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask.

"Remember the talk we had? What you asked me to consider?" he asks and I nod, knowing very well what I asked him to consider.

"Well, I've been thinking about it" he continues.

"Is this why you haven't called in 4 days?" I am a little more sarcastic than I'd like.

"You know, the phone works both ways. Don't only expect me to reach out" he raises his eyebrows.

"Whatever" I roll my eyes.

"Don't do that" he says angrily.

"I'm sorry, please go on" I apologize.

"I like you, Zoe. I like us. You're in your 20s, I'm in my 40s, do you really want this?" he asks looking into my eyes.

"Yes, I really really do" a smile starts appearing on my lips.

"It's not easy dating me" he warns me.

"I can imagine" I laugh.

"I'm serious, Zoe. What we have now is great, it might be ruined if we proceed with this" he explains.

"I know. I'm telling you I truly want to try" I lean forward and wrap my arms around his neck, his suit's neck to be exact.

"God" he whispers looking down into my eyes.

"Tony, does that mean you're saying what I think you're saying?" I smile widely.

"Yes, but-" I kiss him before he can finish his sentence.

The kiss feels so good. It's slow and long lasting. Our lips are moving in perfect rhythm together. My hands are pulling him closer to me and his strong arms are holding me by my waist. We're both smiling when the kiss ends but his disappears faster.

"What is it?" I ask.

"There's something you need to know" he gulps, scaring me.

"What?" I ask slowly, pulling my hands back from him.

"It wasn't something serious, alright? I need you to know that" my heart starts racing.

"You slept with someone, didn't you?" I ask and feel the tears starting in my eyes.

"I'm sorry" he says and I take a step back.

"Zoe, listen to me, please. I didn't know how things would go with us" he makes my blood boil.

"That's because you were stalling! You knew exactly what I wanted" I yell but not too loud, not wanting everyone to look at us.

"I wasn't" he corrects me.

"I feel awful, I promise I'm done with all the other women. It's just you and me now" he reaches for me but I block his hand.

"F*ck you, Tony" I say with all my heart.

He doesn't comment on that but I know he really wants to. He doesn't like me speaking to him like that. Instead, I see him poking his cheek with his tongue, fighting the urge to speak.

"You're mad, I get it. Why don't we go back to my place, or yours, and talk things out?" he actually sounds calm.

"No" I refuse immediately.

"Okay, we'll stay here for as long as you want" he nods.

"You don't understand. You can stay for as long as you like...but I'm leaving" I say and turn my back to him.

"Come on, Zoe. It's not going to happen again, I'm all yours now. I promise" he starts walking behind me.

"I-I can't do this right now" I stutter as tears start falling down my cheeks.

"Call me?" he sounds desperate.

I shake my head slightly and ignore his question. I start running back to the dorms. I'm sobbing, trying to contain myself but it's getting harder and harder. My heart is about to burst.