𝟎𝟎𝟑 Skating Rink

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Ⅲ 𝒔𝒌𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒌

HAZEL'S HEAD RESTED AGAINST THE WINDOW.  She watched the wind whiz past as they reached Covington, further in Ohio. Kory pulled into the front of a church and the girls slowly exited the car. "You were born here?" Hazel asked, walking beside Rachel.

"Apparently," Rachel hummed, nervousness laced in her tone. Kory leaned over pressing the doorbell. Hazel smiled sweetly at Rachel and Hazel laced their hands together.

"Hello, there. Can I help you..." A nun smiled but trailed off staring at Kory's tight purple reflective dress. "You're back." The nun sighed in the silence. "My Lord, it can't be," She said in shock, looking over Rachel's figure. "Is this her? Oh! Look how big you've grown. It's been such a long time, my child." Rachel tilted her head slightly, tightening the grip she had on Hazel's fingers.

"Can we sit down?" Hazel spoke up, her voice getting through the silence. The lady nodded leading the three girls inside and to a kitchen.

"You don't remember anything?" Catherine, the lady, asked sitting beside Hazel. A tea was placed in front of each girl, and Hazel already started to drink it.

"Not a thing," Kory confirmed. "Only that I was looking for..." Kory trailed off glancing at Rachel.

"Her," Catherine said in understanding.

"Mmm-hmm," Kory hummed in agreement. "Did I say why?"

"You came here a year ago and said only that she was in danger, that they'd found her," Catherine explained in a shaky voice.

"Who had found her?" Kory asked.

"You only said you just had to find her. And you did," Catherine smiled looking back at Rachel. "And you brought her back to us, right as rain and beautiful as ever." Rachel smiled softly, placing her tea back down. "You came to us just a baby. You and your mother, Melissa. You stayed with us for a while."

"You knew my mother?" Rachel asked in shock.

"Yes," Catherine said nodding. "How is she?" Rachel's face dropped and her eyes shot over to Hazel. Hazel moved her chair over, taking Rachel's hand in hers again. "Oh. Oh, I'm sorry."

"Do you know why they were here?" Hazel asked, picking up her tea again.

"Your mother was worried about you," Catherin spoke softly, trying to comfort Rachel. "She was trying to protect you."