-17.5-

The black ford explorer
rolled to a stop in front of Midtown high school. Students poured through the front doors wearing the fanciest of clothing. Guys wore their best suits and tuxes and the girls wore the prettiest dresses. Everyone looked like they were attending a red carpet and Jocelyn felt confident that she fit the part.

"What time do you want to leave?" Dave asked putting the car in park.

Jocelyn sat in the passenger seat and stared out the window seeing some familiar faces. She was internally thankful she hadn't seen Gwen, Mary Jane, Harry, or Peter yet, hoping to go the next hour without seeing them but knew that was unlikely.

"I'll text you." Jocelyn assured, glancing over to her dad beside her. She flashed him a sweet smile to assure his worried expression.

"Alright. Just be safe in there and no drinking. Or smoking. Or dancing with boys." He warned.

"What about girls?" Jocelyn asked teasingly.

Dave's eyes widened at the question and Jocelyn giggled opening the door. She stepped out and clung onto the clutch in her hands, turning around to see her dad speechless in the driver seat.

"Relax Dad, I am not attracted to women." Jocelyn clarified placing a hand on the door. "Just experimenting." She shut the door and giggled seeing Dave's face through the glass. 

She was straighter than an arrow but that didn't mean she couldn't joke with her dad.

She waved goodbye with a smile and watched the car drive off, knowing she will see her dad soon enough as he was a chaperon in the dance. Her smile faded slowly when the car disappeared, leaving her with this anxiety she hid away. She took a deep breath to gain some confidence and turned around standing at the bottom step. Her dad offered to walk in together but she wanted to do this on her own.

Alright, you can do this. Just go in, have some fun, than go kick some ass. I can be a normal teenager for an hour.

Jocelyn gathered enough confidence to begin walking up the steps. When she got to the top, she walked into the school hearing the music blasting from the gym. She followed the crowd and walked into the gym, feeling herself relax when she saw the Decathlon team standing together near the snack table. A smile formed on her lips and began walking towards the small group, finding a group of people to stick beside for the night.

"Oh-em-gee! Jocie, you look amazing!" Cindy squealed when Jocelyn approached them.

Jocelyn smiled at the compliment. "Thank you, Cindy. But I love your dress! It suits you perfectly." Jocelyn and Cindy hugged each other briefly in awe of each other.

Jocelyn noticed a few people nearby whispering and glancing her way over Cindy's shoulder. Last time she was in school was when she had that fight with Gwen and there was no doubt Jocelyn was the talk of the school for all the reasons she hated.

The two girls pulled back and Jocelyn saw Michelle Jones standing nearby, eating a cupcake from the table. Jocelyn was shocked to see Michelle wearing a dress with yellow flowers on it and a bit of mascara. But the sneakers on Michelle's feet suited her casual personality Jocelyn always knew.

"Hey Michelle. You look great." Jocelyn smiled warmly.

Michelle looked at Jocelyn and narrowed her eyes as she chewed her cupcake timidly. She swallowed thickly and her gaze hardened into a glare. "You mention me in a dress again and you will be missing three of your toes tomorrow." She warned.

Jocelyn's eyes widened and watched Michelle walk off towards the restrooms. Cindy and Jocelyn burst out into giggles when Michelle vanished in the crowd.