Epilogue

Few months later

“Yaya Kauthar!” Walida shouted as soon as she sighted her beloved sister.

Kauthar waved back, smiling widely, not minding the two heavy bags in her hands. Speaking of, she turned around with a frown, “Haba dai,” she moaned at Ismail who carried Hoor bridal style while Barakah held a small camera against her face.

Ismail laughed. “What? You’re very strong na.”

“Ko?” Shamsu piped in with a smile. He collected the bags, just as Walida jumped into Kauthar's open arms. Shamsu looked at them, then at Ismail who shrugged. “Sannunku da zuwa.” He adds. Ismail dropped Hoor and shook his hands.

Once they get to the car, Kauthar asked, “ya banga boys dina ba.”

“Oh, they’re at home, getting your rooms ready.” Walida replied, opening the door for her.

“Kai, are they not too young for chores?” Ismail said, opening his door.

“Is Hoor not too old to be carried around?” Kauthar glared at him.

Ismail smiled sheepishly. “If you want me to carry you, just say so.”

Walida and Shamsu snickered at each other.

“Won’t, please carry mummy, let me snap.” Baraka said, standing beside her mother.

“No!” Kauthar and Hoor shouted together. The rest burst into laughter.

...

Wai, kin ji wani irin zafi?” Kauthar asked as she joined Walida in the kitchen.

“Haba, we’re in rainy season fa. The heat is not that hot.”

Kauthar glared at her. “You this kano people, always defending your harsh weather.”

Walida turned to her in surprise. “Iyyeh, sannu auntin Lagos.”

Kauthar rolled her eyes and joined Walida in grabbing plates from the basket.

“So how’s Aisha na? I was thinking she'll come running to search my bags for clothes to take.”  Kauthar chuckled.

Walida paused and sighed. “She left.”

Kauthar scrunched her face. “Ban gane ba.” Walida told her everything, to which she said, “Oh Allah, poor girl.”

“Wallahi,” the duo grabbed a tray of flasks, plates, and spoons, and sauntered out of the kitchen. They head out of the house and set the trays on a large round carpet under a short mango tree.

After arranging the plates, Kauthar asked, “so you haven’t heard from her since then?”

Walida shook her head. “I just hope she's okay, and happy.” Despite everything, she deserved it. “What of you? Atinuke and Hidaya.”

Kauthar made a sound at the back of her throat. “Atinuke na can Kaduna. Hidaya kuma…” she shrugged.

Allah Ya kyauta.” She beamed. “Aunty Meena fa?”

Kauthar's face broke into a smile and she wiggled her waist. “Ana nan ana shirye shirye–the preparation is ongoing.”

“Kai, nothing will make me miss this wedding.”

“Chab,” Kauthar eyed her, “don’t even try it.”

Walida laughed and sighed. She glanced at the sun covered by white clouds against a beautiful blue background. She sighed again. “Alhamdulillah.”

Kauthar smiled. “Alhamdulillah.”
Then she frowned. “Do you think life will get easier from now on? For all of us?”

Walida. “is there any thing like easy in this life?”

Kauthar sighed. “I don’t think there is, but as long as we have Him,” she tilted her head towards the sky, “and each other,” she reached for Walida's hand. “We’ll be fine.”

Walida smiled.

“And as long as you two don’t starve us today,” Ismail piped in from their right.

“we'll also be fine.” Shamsu completed. The sisters glanced at them, then laughed.

“Toh, we have heard.” Kauthar said, standing.

“Bismillah.” Walida pointed to the trays and stood. As Kauthar made her way back into the house, Walida walked beside her, smiling, with peace in their hearts, and hope in their steps.

As for Meena Lawal, Aisha Kabiru, and Hidaya Muhammad, the path before them is about to get more interesting...

•••

😂😂😂

Hope my surprise surprised you?

Before we wrap up, meet me in the next chapter.