Thirty-nine

Rushing towards her best friend’s unconscious form, Walida tilted her head from side to side, not sure where to touch. Then she noticed that Aisha’s eyes were half closed, her mouth parted, saliva trickling down. Walida leaned closer to her mouth. She could hear tiny puffs of air. Oh God, she was still alive. Walida quickly stood and ran down the stairs and towards the gate. “Mallam!” She called out. 

His head poked out from behind the door, “Hajiya, lafiya?”

“Aisha.” She pointed, face twisted. He disappeared into his house. After few minutes, he reappeared. Together, they carried her to the hospital. 

Walida waited in the reception, ignoring the bawling of a three-year-old girl beside her, the laments of an elderly woman at the counter, and the headache creeping around her head. She took a deep breath, leaned forward and rubbed her eyes, as though to rub off the scene she had just witnessed. How was it even possible? She knew Aisha’s husband: a very quiet and reserved man. Hajja had even commented that she doubted he’d be able to control Aisha, for his voice was like a rat’s squeak.

“Nafisah Abdullah.” She opened her eyes and saw a female doctor standing over her. 

She stood. “Yes, that’s me.”

The doctor glanced at her notebook, “Are you related to the patient?”

“No, she’s my best friend.”

“She lost a lot of blood. So she’d need a transfusion.”

Walida nodded. “You need a relative’s signature.”

The doctor folded her lips, “But we can allow you, since you’re close, and she really needs it.” 

“No problem. Let’s go.” After signing the appropriate document, she settled back on her seat, wondering if she should go and clean up the place. But it looked like a crime scene. Should she call the police? She shook her head. 

“Hajiya,” She turned to see the gateman. “Ya mai jikin–how is she?” 

Da sauqi, ana qara mata jini yanzu.”  She informed him.

Allah ya qara sauqi.”

“Ameen. Have you called your oga?” 

He nodded and showed her his phone. “Ba ta tafiya–it’s not reachable.”

She nodded and bit her lower lip. Should she call Shmsu to call him instead? She shook head and let out a slight hiss. 

Lafiya dai, hajiya?” He asked.

She sighed, “Did you see her before the incident?” She nodded in the direction of the hallway across them.

“Yes, she came out to make a call. Then she sent Auwal to bring my food.”

“Okay, nobody came to the house?”

Yallabai came. I opened the gate for him before I went out.”

Oh God. “So you were not around when…” She watched as he shook his head slowly.

She sighed. Poor Aisha. “Has this ever happened before?”

He bowed his head. “Toh, it was only once I saw them fight, outside the house. But they were just arguing.” He placed one hand into his open palm. 

Ikon Allah.” And here she was thinking Aisha could never keep a secret. She frowned in thought. She had never noticed a scar on her before. Perhaps, she hadn’t been paying attention. Her eyes watered. She had misjudged her friend all along.