Thirty-five

Kauthar looked from Atinuke to Ismail, then to Yusuf. She wanted to say something, but not sure what. She could understand Hidaya, but Yusuf?

Chico cleared his throat. “You’re going to be discharged now.” He said Atinuke, who nodded in reply.

“Then arrested,” Kauthar added, eyes on Ismail. 

Yusuf snickered behind her. She turned to him, “And you? You of all people?” She shook her head. 

“Why are you so surprised? You’re no different.” Kauthar flinched at the hard look in Atinuke's eyes. Was that what this was all about?

“Don’t you dare compare yourself with me? You took an innocent girl away from her school!” She snapped. Her eyes caught Chico’s, the pity filled in them. He nodded at someone behind her. After he left, she felt Ismail’s hands on her shoulders. 

“Yusuf,” Ismail called. “What you did was not fair at all. I’m your friend for God’s sake.”

Yusuf snickered, “My friend who broke my sister’s heart and took away the woman I loved.
Yeah, you’re a true friend.”
Kauthar turned to Atinuke, seated on the bed, head down. “When did you two meet?” 

“The year before his service, his father bought land from my father. So he was sent to see the land. Our father insisted that he stayed in our house. And I was the one who used to take some food to him. From there, we started talking, before you know it…” She raised her head and looked at Ismail, her lips wobbling. She looked down again. “I believed he was the one for me.”

Kauthar blinked and sniffed. She couldn’t be weak now. “So as payback, you decide to kidnap my daughter?” She said. 

“Point of correction, Hidaya started all this.” Yusuf piped in.

“And you helped her,” Ismail said with a glare. 

“What do you do when you have nothing else to live for?” He turned to Kauthar, “when your happiness disappears like rain clouds, leaving behind a sun of harshness and emptiness.” 

Kauthar took in a breath, recalling their conversation on the day she became her worst enemy.
“What happened to you?”

“His wife recently died from an unsuccessful breast cancer surgery,” Atinuke said. 

Kauthar gasped, covering her mouth. 

“That was what brought me here. We were referred to an oncologist in LUTH. We did everything.”

“I didn’t know,” Ismail said quietly.

Yusuf scoffed, “You never notice. You never noticed when my sister fell for you, that was why it was so easy for you to leave; or how I was always eager to go to Salsabil’s Aunty’s shop, that was why it was easy for you to go after her; or even when your wife was going through hell, that was why it was easy for you to neglect her.” He went closer till they stood eye to eye. “You never notice anything, Ismail, only when it affects you. That was why I decided to teach you a lesson.”

Ismail bowed his head. Kauthar watched as his shoulders started to shake. Was he crying? The next thing, his head snapped up, fist swung and landed on Yusuf’s jaw, sending him crashing on the tiled floor. Ismail climbed atop him.

“No!” Atinuke tried pushing him away. 

Kauthar just stood. she never perceived Ismail that way. But now, she realized how right Yusuf was. Ismail was a selfish man, who just did things and took things for himself. Ever since
Salsabil’s death, she had believed that she was the only one deserving of punishment since she was the major sinner. She never thought Ismail should be punished too. After all, she wasn’t God. 

She felt a jab on her arm, she shook her head as Atinuke stood before her, glaring. “Why are you just standing there?” 

She shook her head again and peeked behind Atinuke, Yusuf leaned against the white wall, forehead bloody, lower lip swollen, green shirt stained, one arm on his knee.  “Where is Ismail?” 

“He just left,” Atinuke said, headed over to her bag on the table. 

There was a high pitched noise from outside. They turned towards it. The noise came closer, followed by the door swinging open. Ismail sauntered in, there was no blood on him, only a swell on his forehead. Two men came up behind him. “Officers,” He pointed towards Yusuf.

As the officers grabbed him, Atinuke ran to Ismail, “you promised!” 

He looked down at her, eyes vacant, then it met Kauthar’s. She shook her head. Why was she on their side? “He deserves to be punished,” Ismail said and strolled out, Yusuf and the men followed.

Sniffing loudly, Atinuke turned to Kauthar, “He never hurt her. He was just angry and bitter.” Her cries grew louder.

“But you were going to take her to a stranger for money.”

“No,” Atinuke shook her head. “Yusuf changed his mind. We planned to bring her home.”

She frowned. “Then why did you make Hidaya believe you were heading towards Badagry?”

“It was just a trick for her. We had already planned to bring her home. So please, show him mercy. Brother mi is the only one I have on earth.” She rubbed her hands.

Kauthar sighed. Mercy; Rahma. Did she have it in her?  Without a reply, she headed for the door, leaving Atinuke behind, her cries loud and grating. Mercy. She had none to give, for she was also in need of it.

•••

A double update for Kauthar. Surprise Surprise.

What do you think of the chapter?

How do you feel about Isma'il and Atinuke's relationship?

Do you think the siblings should be forgiven? How about Hidaya?

Vote. Comment. Share.

❣❣❣