𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 22: 𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝓘𝓽 𝓦𝓪𝓼 𝓗𝓮𝓻

Triggers: 🔴🟡🟢🔵

Aki woke up about ten minutes before the nighttime announcement. She nearly panicked when she realized how late it had gotten. She wanted to wake up sooner, but she supposed that the hangover was worse than she anticipated, evident by the headache that still lingered behind her eye sockets. She quickly slipped on her shoes and grabbed her notebook, heading out to the main entrance of the ship. She was quickly stopped by a familiar voice.

(32)* "Finally, the lil princess is up for her nap." 

She huffed at the broker smoking his cigarette in the doorway.

"I told you I was hungover, what did you expect? Did you finish the investigation?" 

"Yeah, but I didn't find anything special. Definitely no clues of escape, but it's useful info if there's another trial. There's a mart by the port too, so we're still in business." Syobai exhaled his nicotine in a cloud.

Aki let out a tired sigh. "Thank God. I was getting worried about that. I'm running low."

"As long as you keep paying, we'll be fine. We don't have to go to the dining hall either."

She nodded. "I still go for coffee. It's just five minutes with Mikado. Infuriating, sure, but I manage. As long as he stops bringing up Nikei, and down-talking him then..."

"Why do you keep going on about that guy? You're fucking obsessed. He doesn't trust you, why are you still defending him?" Syobai rolled his eyes.

"And why do you care? You jealous or something?"

He glared. "I should fucking beat your ass for saying something so stupid. You think I really give a shit about who you associate with? I'm just saying, you're contracting yourself. It's suspicious... makes me think you two are the Voids."

"I told you, I'm not a Void, Syobai. Nikei probably isn't one either–" Aki argued as she was cut off.

"That's bullshit, and you know it. There's actually a high chance that newsie is a Void. And considering that you won't shut the hell up about him after all he's done to hurt you, it's possible that you're covering for him. Just 'cause you pay me doesn't mean I have to trust you."

"I told you not to call him that! Only I can!" Aki growled harshly.

"Oh, now you're being possessive, eh? Definitely something a Void would do for a comrade. What else are you hiding, huh, lil miss?"

Syobai wore a sick smirk on his face as he spoke, but it was immediately wiped clean off his face when Aki suddenly snapped at him. 

"Shut up!! You fucking bastard!"

Her tone seemed to cut through cinderblock, it was so sharp. Syobai narrowed his momentarily widened eyes, scoffing bitterly. 

"Jesus Christ, red... I was just fucking with you. What's with the temper all of a sudden?"

Once Aki realized what she'd just done, she covered her mouth as tears began to well into her shocked eyes. She immediately recoiled, taking a step away from Syobai, as if she'd hurt him if she didn't. 

"I...sorry..."

"No. That was the most pissed I've ever seen you. What about that was so batshit that you had to yell like that?" 

She wasn't necessarily being scolded per se, but Syobai's tone definitely made her feel that way, to which the tears in her eyes began to stream down her face as she sniffled weakly. 

"I...didn't mean to...I just...I'm...in love with..." 

Her words were getting mixed up with her crying, making it difficult for Syobai to understand anything she was trying to say.