Chapter 23

"A Family Dinner"

             I was really nervous to be going back over to Jason’s house. Now that his mother knew about my problems, I was scared that she wouldn’t like me. Jason had been trying to reassure me but it wasn’t helping. I really wanted Jason’s family to like me.

            I pulled out something from my closet that I hadn’t worn in forever. It was a medium length summer dress. It was solid white and only had thin spaghetti straps on it. The very top had lace around it and it fell to my knees. I pulled out some white sandals and put them on. I simply brushed out my hair and left my face without make-up.

            When I was done, I grabbed my bag and walked down the stairs. When I hit the bottom step, I saw Luke sitting on the couch. I walked around in front of him and when I did his eyes snapped over to me and widened.

            “How do I look,” I asked.

            “You look freaking amazing,” he said as he jumped to his feet.

            “Thank you,” I said with a shy smile.

            “Jason is gonna swallow his tongue,” he said with a smirk.

            “I just want to look nice. I’m meeting his family again,” I said.

            “They’ll love you,” he promised me as he hugged me.

            “Are you sure? They know about my issues,” I said.

            “And they’ll love you anyway. I do,” he said as he pulled back with a smile.

            “I don’t know how you got to me or who got you to me but you getting here is one of the best things i could have ever gotten,” I said.

            “That’s a really nice thing to say,” he said.

            “I just wish that I didn’t have to take you away from your life so that you could fix mine,” I said.

            “I don’t mind. I like it here. I like that I met you and Jason,” he assured me.

            “You helped me a lot,” I told him.

            “It was mostly Jason,” he said with a shrug.

            “Without you I wouldn’t have met Jason. Nor would I have kept letting him come around if it wasn’t for you,” I said as I reached up and touched his face.

            “I am pretty great,” he told me.

            “You really are,” I said as I moved away. I heard a knock on the door and took a deep breath before moving that way. I opened the door and saw Jason on the other side. “Hi.”

            “Holy shit,” he said as he looked me over.

            “Do I look ok,” I asked feeling self-conscious.

            “You look beautiful,” he said in a slightly husky voice.

            “Thank you,” I told him with a smile.