Chapter 21

"Waking Up"

I felt like I was floating on a cloud. I wanted to open my eyes but they felt heavy. I remembered what happened and I knew that I was in the hospital. It was just like the other time. Once again it hadn’t worked out. I somehow knew that John had saved me.

I finally forced my eyes open and looked at the people around me. I saw Jason in a chair beside me and Lynn and Marcus in the corner talking. Tyson was on the phone and my brother was sitting in the other chair. Brantley wasn’t here at the current moment.

“Water,” I croaked out.

“Clary,” Jason exclaimed as he jumped up and touched my face. John pushed a straw towards me and I took deep gulps of the water.

            “How long have I been out,” I asked.

            “Almost a week,” Jason told me.

            “Am I ok,” I asked.

            “Yeah. You recovered well,” John said.

            “We’re gonna wait outside,” Marcus said as he took Lynn’s hand and pulled her out the door.

            “Me to,” John said as he walked out.

            “Why did you do it,” Jason asked as soon as they were out of there.

            “I couldn’t handle the pain,” I said as I closed my eyes.

            “So you wanted all of us to feel that pain,” he said in an angry voice.

            “I’m sorry,” I said as I felt the pressure in my chest intensify.

            “Don’t be sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. You scared the shit out of me,” he said as he gripped my hand hard.

            “I’m sorry. I just couldn’t…,” I trailed off as I looked up at his handsome face.

            “It’s ok baby,” he said as he pushed me over and climbed into the bed with me.

            “I feel so bad. I put my brother and sister through this again. I mean I honestly thought that I could handle it,” I said as I put my head on his chest.

            “It’s ok. I should have been there,” he told me.

            “This isn’t your fault. Please tell me that you haven’t been blaming yourself,” I said as I looked up at him. I knew by the look on his face that he had.

            “Maybe,” he said as he looked down.

            “It’s nobody’s fault but mine,” I said with a sigh as I leaned up to kiss him on the cheek.

            “I don’t want you to blame yourself for this,” he said quietly. When I looked up at him I saw fear in his eyes.