Chapter 3: A new place

I wasn't having the best night of my life. I dropped my chips from the shock I was witnessing. Thank god there were firemen in action already.

A crowd of people gathered to watch the firemen put out the fire. I recognized one of the people in the crowd to be the landlady. I rushed toward the landlady to ask about the fire.

"Oh... uhh Kyou was it? Thank god you weren't caught in the fire," The landlady sighed in relief.

"Thanks for your concern," I replied. "So what happened here?"

"I don't exactly know the details. But when I heard some residents shouting 'Fire!', I grabbed the extinguisher and did my best to put out the flames," The landlady explains. "However the flames spread quickly so I decided to evacuate the residents. Thank god no one was hurt."

I sighed in relief, knowing no one got hurt. However my stuff burned with the flame. The size of my clothes are pretty difficult to find, especially since I don't know if Takano even has my size. Also, I've been keeping a metal suitcase with me. I hope that didn't burn down.

"Before I forget, here's the money for this month," I gave her a stack of bills worth 10,000 yen.

"Oh don't worry about the rent. Keep that money for your other needs," The landlady politely refused my money.

I smiled back at her kindness and took out my phone. I called Kiara's number which she placed in my phone for emergency reasons, and this was certainly an emergency situation.

The phone rang for a couple of minutes but no one was picking up. I tried and tried again, but to no avail. I sighed and thought of staying at a hotel for the meantime, but I don't know any hotels nearby.

I asked the landlady about any hotel close to the KFP. She directed me to a hotel that she knew was close. However, upon searching for the place, it was still pretty far from the KFP.

At least I have an option. I checked the map for more hotels and well everything else was pretty far except for the suggested hotel.

I put my phone back into my pocket and pondered what I should do next.

My brainstorming was interrupted by my ringtone. I picked up my phone and saw it was Kiara who was calling. I answered the call immediately.

"Hello~" Kiara greeted me. "Takanashi Kiara speaking..."

"Hey Tenchou..." I replied.

"Oh Kyou, I just came out of the shower when I saw missed call notifications on my phone. Is there something wrong?"

"Yeah... there's something definitely wrong."

"What is it?"

"I don't have a place to stay anymore."

"Huh!? What happened?"

"My apartment sorta burned down."

"Oh that's sad."

"But good thing is, no one was hurt. Although, I lost most of my stuff in it."

"So what're you gonna do now?"

"I was thinking of maybe coming in a little late tomorrow since I have to find a hotel to stay in for the night."

"I can give you the day off if you want. However, you will be working overtime the day after tomorrow, understand?"

"Yeah yeah... thanks anyways."

"Okay~"

I could get the day off tomorrow which is cool. But I have to work my ass off the day after tomorrow. Well I guess I'll have to work tomorrow to avoid overtime.