37 ❥ september 15, 2019

Start from the beginning

She's currently keeping watch while I'm looking for a certain file in his drawer.

"Found it!" I yell before tucking it under my shirt and walking out of his office.

We both walk out of my house and quickly drive over to hers.

"What exactly is in the files?" She asks.

"Before my mom died I remember her and my dad fighting about something. She said that he had done something to her...pushed her over the edge." I explain.

"You think your father had something to do with your mom's death?" She gasps.

"Well yes and no, my mom died from cancer and obviously, he couldn't have caused that but I do think he did something to her before she died that caused a lot of trauma," I explain.

"Holy shit." She sighs before pulling into her driveway.

We quickly sprint inside and head upstairs to her room.

I rip out the file from under my shirt and open it.

The first thing I see is a list of names and a few phone numbers. Some highlighted and others not.

Then I see a bunch of bank receipts and proof of transactions.

"So he paid someone..." Madison says.

Yep.

I continue digging and freeze when I find a letter addressed to my father.

I open it up and immediately recognize my mother's handwriting.

"What the fuck?" I gasp.

Jonathan,

I want a divorce. I don't think you realize the hell the kids and I face having to be around you. You are constantly angry and you refuse to spend any quality time with us. Did you know it was our 10 year anniversary yesterday? Of course, you didn't because you don't care. Ever since the day I said "I do", you have treated me more as an object than a wife. Only when you want sex do you ever show me love. Forget my needs, I do not want my children to grow up around a man who puts his job over his family. I would never want Asher to treat his wife the way you treat me! I am no longer in love with you Jonathon, I haven't been for a while and I know that you're having an affair with your assistant Macy. I know this letter comes off as rude and bitter but I do want this divorce to go by as smoothly as possible for the kid's sake. I may not be in love with you but I will always care about you. You are the father of my child anyway. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Ashley

Holy shit!

Mom wanted to divorce dad?

"But your parents never got divorced," Mads said.

"I know," I say.

"Wait! Why did she say he was the father of her child?" She asks.

"Uh, because he's Lyss and I's dad." I deadpan.

"No, you idiot! She said, CHILD. As in ONE!" Madison said.

I do a double-take and glance back at the letter.

Madison gasps and I watch as she pulls out a birth certificate.

"It's Alyssa's." She says quietly.

I grab it out of her hand.

"That's not my dad's signature," I say.

Alyssa and I don't have the same dad.