In Caghatai Khan's absence, Fadhil had arrived. He had already told Jalal about Sharif ud-Din's attack and his takeover of Amer. Jalal's rage increased immeasurably when he heard Fadhil's report. With difficulty, he controlled himself. "That filthy bas**rd! How dare he!" he roared.

"Huzoor, I could not deliver the message. But I heard Raja Bharmal was able to escape. They did not tell me where he is. Everyone is in fear of the Mughals, of Sharif ud-Din and his soldiers. He ruthlessly takes what he needs!" Jalal's jaw ground. He clenched his hands into fists. Had he taken Jodha as well?

"Did you...did you...hear anything about the Rajkumari?"

"Na huzoor" he said sadly. „No one knew anything about her either! Probably the women had been taken to safety before."

" Are you sure she's not at the palace? Were you able to meet her maid?"

„Ji Jahanpanah. She is not in the palace. I asked around among the staff. They will know. They like their princess very much. She is popular with everyone. Moti Bai was not there. I sneaked into the palace inconspicuously. But she was not there. No one knew of her whereabouts. Surely she has gone with her mistress!" He hoped that the Rajkumari and also Moti Bai were safe.

"Shukriaa, Fadhil! Let us wait for Caghatai Khan. Perhaps he has found the Raja. We sent him to Amer as well after we learned that Sharif ud-Din was up to his mischief here. I can't believe it. My own brother-in-law is attacking Amer behind my back! He has placed himself above his ruler and acted on his own authority!" he roared! "I will have him quartered for what he did and throw his remains to the animals! Does he think he can get away with anything? He is no better than Adham Khan!"

"Jahanpanah!" Caghatai Khan came riding up and jumped off his horse.

"Caghatai Khan! What news do you bring? Fahdil Khan has already told us about this bast**d's shameful attack on Amer. Have you found Raja Bharmal? Fadhil unfortunately failed to deliver my message to him."

"Ji Jahanpanah! I met him randomly in the city when he..." They leave for Jalals tent and he reports to Jalal what Bharmal had told him. "Jahanpanah, he requests an audience with you! He has questions!"

Mixed in with Jalal's anger about Sharif ud-Din was relief! Obviously, Jodha had not gotten into Sharif ud-Din's hands. But exchanging her for her brothers was out of the question!

"Sharif ud-Din!" he clenched between his teeth! "You will pay for this! Even if it means breaking Bakshi's heart!" he muttered. "Is the Raja's family well?" He thought of the pain in his side and head.

"I suppose so, Jahanpanah. I have seen no one but Bhagwant Das. The Raja didn't mention anything. I assume women and children were taken to safety before the attack."

"Khair! Of course he has questions! He'll get answers! He had to assume that we wanted revenge after what Munim Khan told him! Sharif seems to make common cause with the traitors! " he said grimly. "Caghatai Khan, get some rest! As soon as possible you will ride back and return with Raja Bharmal. Sharif ud-Din will get his just punishment! Amer will get justice!"

"Jahanpanah!"

Jalal looked at him. „What else Caghatai Khan?"

„Would you grant me one more moment?"

„It is granted to you!"

„On the ride here, I thought about the situation and ..." he faltered.

„Bolo!"

"You know your brother-in-law is not averse to women" he said uneasily.

"It is known to us!" replied Jalal grimly. "What are you trying to say?"