Prologue

February 1273,

February 1273,

The clanging of swords, the clouds of smoke amidst the white skies. The metallic stench of blood, the sound of war cries, the thudding hooves of the horses against the crisp snow all seemed to muffle in her ears.

The only sound audible to her ears was that of her own heavy breathing. Pulling the arrow that had lodged into her shoulder, she threw it away and raised her sword to continue.

A sharp stab jabbed her from behind and she found herself coughing up blood.

'ANDWE... (NO....)' He shouted and ran towards her. The only sound he heard, was her thin frame falling upon the cold snow.

She blinked slowly watching him run towards her. Her desperate breathing, loudly audible. It was the only sound she could hear. He was the only sight she could see....

Rushing towards her, he held her in his arms with tears pooling in his eyes. She blinked feebly and shut her eyes as a tear rolled down, her cold white face.

One by one, weapons thumped to the snow covered ground and the rebels were taken in chains.

She found herself being lifted, lifted high and floating amidst the clouds. Was she dead? Was she still alive?

No...I should go. I should leave....

A splash of water made her gasp hard and move in desperation. She found her hands and feet tied to a wooden chair in scarlet ropes.

She was seized; no longer was she a human now, just a criminal of the state.

Looking around, she knew she was in Gaegyeong (Kaesong). The blue celadon roof tiles gave her the clue that was needed.

She looked at the minister, who sat on a chair atop the platform.

'So...now a Mongol will judge my actions?' She spat in contempt.

'Goryeo is the vassal state of the Yuan dynasty. You've committed treason against the Great Yuan. It is right that we judge your actions.'

She rolled her eyes and exhaled sharply. She knew she'd die, but not so quickly.

He stepped down from the pulpit and leaned close to her cold pale face snarling, 'If you confess your wrongdoings...the great Yuan is willing to pardon you.'

She spat on his face, shooting him a glare. The man clenched his jaws and wiped his face shouting, 'TWIST THIS WENCHES LEGS.'

Without a second thought, the soldiers tightened their grip on the wooden beams they held and pushed it between her legs which were fastened together by the rope tied across her feet.