Chapter 29

Zino remained outside, overwhelmed with fear about Stephanie's reaction to what she had witnessed. He regretted allowing Jason to continue, even though Jason wouldn't listen to him.

As Stephanie and Jason argued, Jason attempted to reason with her, fully aware of the consequences of his actions. A part of him had wanted Stephanie to catch them, as he had been wanting to tell her. But, Jason struggled with expressing his emotions and avoided discussing his feelings.

"I thought you of all people would understand. You said when I'm ready you'd listen, now please listen." Jason tries explaining himself.

"Understand what? How am I suppose to understand you kissing your fellow guy?" Stephanie questioned with disbelief.

"the way you talk about 'gays' and..."

"That's on TV. This is real life!!! Jason you're my bestfriend, I won't lie to you. This is wrong!"

"You think I've not heard that? Do you really think I chose this? Stephanie you know the truth! Stop being in denial, nothing you say or do will change me"

"So you and Timi are the two of you...?" Stephanie hesitated, her eyes searching for confirmation in Jason's expression. His face was a telling response. "WOW! that's what's been going on between you guys. I don't even know what to say"

Jason sensed that Stephanie needed space to process everything, so he decided to give her some time. The weight of the situation was overwhelming, and he understood that she needed to come to terms with it in her own way.

He met Zino outside, who kept asking what had happened.

"She's not going to tell anybody... I know her. She's just stressed out," Jason assured Zino. "What made you realize you liked boys?" Jason asked.

"Why are you asking?" Zino wondered.

"With everything that is happening... I just wanted to know... I want Stephanie to understand."

"You want to go and tell her?"

"No, no."

"Well, it was you."

Jason felt flattered by Zino's response.

"Me always asking about your sister was just an excuse to talk to you, I swear I hated what I was feeling" Zino revealed.

"Me too"

Jason felt empathy for Zino, believng that Zino might not fully understand the concept of sexuality yet, and he didn't want Zino to go through any unnecessary struggles.

Beamer and Timi stumbled upon a group of 10-year-olds playing on the field in ragged and filthy clothes, kicking around an old ball. Timi didn't want to interfere, but Beamer went and struck a bargain with them.

He approached the kids and engaged them in a friendly conversation. Beamer made a deal with them - he would let them play football with him if they allowed Beamer and Timi to use the field for a while. The kids were excited about the offer and quickly agreed to the terms.

Timi observed two boys among the children who were remarkably cooperative, and they brought back memories of himself and Jason during their primary school days. He longed for the simplicity and joy of those good old times.

Feeling fatigued, Timi requested one of the kids to substitute for him as he moved to sit at the end of the field. Beamer, not wanting him to be alone, decided to join him and offered his company.

"See how small they are, We were much taller than this when we were around their age" Beamer stated.

"I swear" Timi said.

The kid playing for Beamer was asked to leave by another child, and though Beamer noticed the disagreement, he refrained from interfering initially. When the other child started using homophobic slurs against Beamer's sub, he couldn't remain silent.

"Hey, are you mad?" Beamer questioned the bullying child.

It turned out that the kid was attacking Beamer's sub for being effeminate, which infuriated Beamer as he despised bullying. He decided to intervene.

"Get out from the field," Beamer firmly instructed the bully. "I don't want to see you here again, and none of you should ever use such words on anybody." The kid reluctantly left the field, and Beamer glared at him as he ran away.

Timi was utterly surprised by Beamer's reaction, and it filled him with a sense of joy to witness someone standing up against such behavior. Wishing that more people would adopt this attitude of being assertive and open-minded.

Around 2PM, Malik skillfully slipped out of his house without his brother noticing, determined to reach Chika's place. When he arrived at Chika's gate, Chika warmly hugged him, leaving Malik unsure of how to respond, but he reciprocated the hug.

"Be fast oh, before my brother would know I'm no longer at home" Malik advised as they entered Chika's house.

Chika realized it was already afternoon. And he hadn't even had breakfast but strangely had no appetite for it. His mind was preoccupied with what to say to Malik.

"What did you want to tell me? I'd soon be going oh" Malik broke the silence.

"Malik do you like me?" Chika finally asked.

"Yes of course I like you" Malik smiled.

"Well I like you too" Chika said before kissing Malik.

Malik gently pushed him away, saying, "guy not like that now"

Chika's heart started pounding, realizing he made a big mistake. 'Why did I kiss him?' he thought to himself.

"Let me start going" Malik said, leaving awkwardly.