Chapter 22

The invigilator, Ms. Badmus entered the SSS3 science classroom with a brown file in her hands. She walked briskly towards the first seat near the door, placing the stack of papers on the desk. Adjusting her black gown, she looked around the room and instructed the students to bring their bags and books forward.

As the students complied and reached the front of the classroom, they were abruptly halted from returning to their seats. The sudden disruption caused a collective murmur of surprise among the students, who anxiously awaited further instructions from Ms. Badmus.

Ms. Badmus insisted on arranging the students herself, much to their frustration. She directed them to wait in the hallway while she called them in one by one. The students exchanged annoyed glances, their impatience growing.

She began with Stephanie, positioning her at the front of the classroom. Then, to Stephanie's dismay, the invigilator paired her with Moyo.

Zuriel felt relieved that she didn't end up sitting next to Moyo, knowing that it could have made the situation even more uncomfortable. Instead, she found herself seated next to Timi at the second-to-last seat on the third row. It was a much more favorable arrangement.

"The class captain and his assistant go to the last seat at the back there" Ms. Badmus instructed, motioning for Jason and Balikis to sit behind Timi and Zuriel.

Lekan and Lateef entered the classroom after Ms. Badmus finished the rearrangement. Their arrival seemed to annoy her, as she didn't want the two of them sitting together. In a firm tone, she instructed Zuriel to go sit with Lekan on the first row, while Lateef was asked to sit with Timi. Zuriel felt a sense of despair, realizing that her chances of success were diminishing. She still held on to a glimmer of hope, knowing that Lekan had brought in dubs, which might offer a small chance of avoiding failure.

The invigilator declared that the assigned seating arrangement would remain fixed throughout the entire exam period, regardless of her presence. As the test was about to commence, Jason, Timi, Stephanie, and Zuriel exchanged glances, aware of the humor in their current positions.

Stephanie playfully mouthed the words "I hate all of you" to her friends, who chuckled in response to her proximity to Moyo.

Still outside, Tope came to terms with the fact that Chika wouldn't be joining them. As she made her way to the classroom, she was relieved to find the others engaged in cleaning duties. Malik approached her eagerly, asking, "Did you see him?"

"No! It seems like we'll have to write this boy's papers for him," Tope proposed. Malik readily agreed, defying her expectations.

They were well-acquainted with their invigilator, Mr. Akinluyi, who was known for his lenient approach to exams. His middle-aged appearance, characterized by a small dark stature and a nearly bald head with a few wisps of hair at the back, hinted at his years of experience in overseeing exams. Despite his unassuming physical presence, he carried an air of authority that commanded respect among the students. His calm demeanor and occasional friendly banter with the students created a relaxed atmosphere during exams, making them feel more at ease. This familiarity with Mr. Akinluyi's demeanor reassured Tope that their assistance to Chika would likely go unnoticed by him.

Once the Monday sweepers had completed their task, Tope entered the classroom and cut two sheets of paper - one for herself and another for Chika. Their first exam was English, a subject they found relatively simple. The main challenge in writing Chika's papers lay in imitating a different handwriting style to avoid suspicion.

Most classes had about six papers for the day, and Zuriel took the time to meticulously review her work on the question paper, comparing her answers with those of her friends outside to ensure their accuracy. They formed a small circle, eagerly sharing their exam experiences. Zuriel, curious about Moyo's performance, approached Stephanie and inquired about how she had fared in the exams.