Chapter 23

Stephanie and Beamer were the last to arrive at Jason's place after school ended, while Timi followed Jason home and Zuriel arrived a few minutes later. Jason stood out among the group as the only one not in uniform. While everyone else was dressed in their school attire, he wore a black polo shirt and shorts, still sporting his socks.

"Where were you guys? since you didn't go home - cause you're still in uniform" Jason welcomed Stephanie and Beamer in.

"The two of them eh... Only God can prevail" Zuriel said. Everyone laughed including Stephanie and Beamer.

They had planned for a study session at Jason's place, but none of them had brought their books. The subjects they were studying for the next day were quite simple, so they felt confident without the need for extensive preparation.

Stephanie and Beamer were wrapped in each other's arms, displaying affection that drew the attention of the others in the room. Zuriel, in particular, seemed slightly frustrated by the display of affection.

The intimate moment between Stephanie and Beamer came to a stop when Mrs. Jeffrey entered the living room.

"How was you guys test today?" Mrs. Jeffrey asked the group.

Everyone responded positively except for Jason, who remained silent.

"Jason, what of you?" Mrs Jeffrey asked.

"It went well" Jason gave her a fake smile.

Zuriel pulled Stephanie away from Beamer, leading her to the dining table under the pretense of assisting Mrs. Jeffrey in the kitchen. Zuriel leaned against the back of one of the dining chairs, prompting Stephanie to do the same, positioning themselves to have a private conversation.

"I know what you'd do about her."
Zuriel said to Stephanie.

"About who?" Stephanie asked, slightly confused.

Zuriel maintained her gaze towards the living room where Timi was seated, and Stephanie followed her line of sight, instantly realizing that Zuriel was referring to Moyo. Zuriel went on with her plan, Stephanie laughed it off, with no intentions of following through.

Timi requested to speak with Jason privately as well in his room, Jason hoped it wasn't about Timi wanting to get back together with him.

"I wan come stay your side during mid term break" Timi spoke in vernacular.

"Why?" Jason asked, not particularly enthusiastic about the idea of Timi staying over.

"My parents and brothers no go dey house and I no fit stay alone" Timi said.

Jason responded by saying he would discuss it with his mother. Timi didn't anticipate it being a big deal since he had spent nights at Jason's place before.

The next morning at school, Jason found Timi sitting alone in the classroom, occupying the same spot where Timi had been the day before.

"Good morning" They greeted each other.

"Where's Moyo? I've not seen you with her since, what happened?" Jason asked out of curiosity.

"I don't even know, it's been long since we spoke, I still believe she's the one who reported Zuriel, even tho I begged her not to" Timi shared.

Jason set down his bag and took a seat behind him, eager to hear more.. "That's why you haven't spoken since?"

Timi turned to face him, before blurring out "We had sex! and it didn't end well, I think she thinks I'm gay or something"

Jason was taken aback by Timi's revelation, unable to fully process what he had just heard. The casual use of the word "gay" by Timi surprised him the most since it had always been a somewhat taboo topic for them.

Their conversation was interrupted by Balikis, who informed them that Jason's mother would be their invigilator for the day.

All of this felt overwhelming for Jason. He couldn't decide which aspect was more unsettling: the fact that Timi had been intimate with a girl or the realization that his mother would be overseeing their exam. The conflicting emotions and unexpected revelations left Jason feeling confused and uncertain about how to navigate the situation.

Lateef, Lekan, and Malik entered the class and took their seats at the back of the first row. Malik was there to assist his brother with some tasks.

Lateef suddenly realized that he had forgotten something at the entrance, so he left momentarily to retrieve it. This created an opportune moment for Lekan to inquire about Chika from Malik.

"Is Chika coming today?" Lekan asked.

"I don't know" Malik feigned disinterest.

"I know you guys are still talking... your brother isn't here, so stop pretending" Lekan asserted, challenging Malik's indifference. Malik maintained eye contact but remained silent. Lekan continued probing. "You fought Olamide because of Chika? Am I wrong? Yes or yes?"

Malik hesitated briefly before relenting, "I didn't ask him if he was coming but he told Tope he's coming"

Lekan nodded, accepting the response, and assured Malik that he wouldn't disclose their conversation to Lateef.

Hours later, the invigilators began entering their assigned classrooms. A collective sigh of despair echoed through the SSS3 class as Mrs Jeffrey walked in, causing even Jason to feel a sense of unease.

Mrs Jeffrey remained silent, her eyes alone spoke to them. The students settled into their seats, assuming the same positions as the previous day, with the exception of Lekan and Lateef. Zuriel chose not to voice any complaints, as she was content with sitting alongside Timi and Jason.

Though Mrs Jeffrey felt a tad uncomfortable with her son seated at the back, she decided to let it be, assuming that he was following the established protocol as explained by the other students.

Mrs Jeffrey didn't take her eyes off Jason's row when the test started, Zuriel felt the most irritated from this cause she couldn't cheat.

Mrs Jeffrey's attention remained fixed on Jason's row as the test began, causing a growing sense of frustration within Zuriel. The intensity of Mrs Jeffrey's watchful eyes made it impossible for her to engage in any form of cheating.

Mrs Jeffrey decided to bring a plastic chair and position herself at the back, right beside Jason, exacerbating the uncomfortable situation. Jason's embarrassment escalated, realizing that his classmates would undoubtedly seize the opportunity to taunt and tease him relentlessly once the exams were over.

Mrs Jeffrey finally rose from her seat to walk around, Zuriel seized the brief moment of distraction to quickly copy half of Timi's answers.

Fate seemed to have other plans as Mrs Jeffrey accidentally stepped on a piece of paper on the floor. She bent down to pick it up, and Jason let out an exasperated sigh, knowing that she wouldn't let this opportunity to investigate slip away.

"Who owns this paper?" The contents in the paper were that of my the previous day but Mrs Jeffrey was still bothered. "All of you stand up.... No sit back down... You want to use that one and cheat" Mrs Jeffrey began scrutinizing their papers, searching for any handwriting match.

To everyone's knowledge, the paper actually belonged to Lekan. Sensing the urgency to intervene before Mrs Jeffrey reached Lekan's script, Jason quickly fabricated an excuse.

"It's from the other class, it's one of them that'd have dumped it there" Jason hastily offered, hoping his mother would believe his explanation. Mrs Jeffrey wanted to trust her son's words, so she reluctantly let the matter go, but she kept the paper in her hand, harboring a slight suspicion.