Chapter 39.

As we stepped inside building i was scared, really scared. My heart was beating as fast as it could and i thought that i'm gonna collapse. In matter of seconds we were in front of judge that was staring at us disgusted while few other soldiers did the same. Riza left somewhere and Mustang was the one that was standing beside us in the center while both of us felt extremly anxious and i was sure that Envy felt humiliated because lowly humans were looking down on him- no, at us. My thinking was interupted by judge clearing his throat and speaking.

~I've recieved letter from certain flame alchemist, that is asking me for another trial for the two of you. He wants me to cancel your execution and instead he wants me to give you lifelong sentence. Honestly i don't think that mosters like you should be kept alive but since this matter is interesting, especially since Roy Mustang was the one that was trying to give you death sentence asked me, i decided to hear what he has to say in your case.

I gulped while Envy was looking furiously. I gave look to Musatng that was looking straight foward without spearing us a single glance and judge continued while i tried to touch Envy to comfort him at least little bit.

~Now, Mr. Flame alchemist, tell me why you want to keep thoose monsters alive?

Judge told with mocking voice and Mustang started his speach.

~Ever since i became Führer i've got my hands on some interesting intel. I would like to keep those two alive because i think they may be of use to me, military and this country itself.

~Really? What is so special about them beside being murderers?

~I guess you don't know about them, since the judge that was taking care of their death sentences died about week ago. Let me explain you whole situation. At first this guy. He is something called homuncullus. This guy is basicaly immortal. I can cut off his head and another one will grow again and he will be completely regenerated. His regeneration powers can do this in matter of seconds. Also he is shape shifter. He can literally shape shift into anything and everything he wants. Now to this girl. She is similiar to him but she is not the same. She is also immortal. I can send her flying, slice her neck but her body will get out without injury. She can feel pain from impact but she doesn't have any injuries. Her body just doesn't allow her to get hurt, only feeling small amount of pain. This girl can also use glass alechemy and other type of alchemy without transmutation circle and if she were to learn healing alkemy she could heal anybody and anything in matter of seconds. Not to mention that both of them were in military, fighting in Ishvalan war and their combat abilities are beyond human limits. With their abilities i am sure that they are better of alive than dead.

Judge looked like he is at loss of words, he just stared dumbfounded at all three of us. I felt uncomfortable and i tried to look away but i couldn't. That fear of unspoken words that can come out of judges mouth were too much for me to handle. I felt like i'm stone and that my live could end seconds after judges words and i couldn't move until i felt Envy's hands on my arm. Trembling stopped and i took deep breath before judge spoke again.

~W-well if that's so, why is your head still on your neck? What's stopping them from killing you right here on spot and all of us with you?

~To this question there is one simple answear. Both of them have but one weakness. And that's, my existence. To prove that i even did small experiment. Today while taking them to their trial i didn't restrain them and showed them my back to see if they would take first chance to take me down. Nothing happened so i think i can take care of them.

Mustang said confident with small smirk on his face. Judge stared like stunned and my only thought was if judge won't be freaked out and if he won't sent us to execution platform just because he's scared but my thoughts were stopped by judges voice.

~W-well then, if you really think that these two can really be of use to this country and that they are not a threat to society i'm stentencing them to lifelong sentence. If you will need them out of cage you would need to sign documents and write there date and time to limit their time out.

~I accept your conditions and i'll take full responsibility if anything were to happen.

With that i let out breath i didn't know i was holding and Envy looked at me with small smirk. Mustang stepped closer to us and suddenly Riza was next to Envy and both of them escorted us out of building. We sat inside car, Riza took her leave and Mustang drove us back to prison. We stepped outside of car and with happines i felt as light as wind. Sun's rays were warming up my face while Mustang walked next to me and cut rope tying my hands. Surprised, my hands fell to my sides while Mustang cut rope on Envy's hands as well. Envy immediately held his wrists and walked to me. I looked at him, thanked him, and put my head into crook of Envy's neck. I was so happy. We were alive. Envy gave Mustang small comment that left us speechless.

~I guess i should thank you-and also i'm not gonna say it ever again but- I-i'm s-sorry that i killed your friend. Now i know how you must've felt because i have (Y/N) now so- Sorry.

With those words Envy turned on heel, took me by hand and we started to head back to our cell while Mustang followed right behind us. The whole way he didn't say another word. When we were before cell Mustang unlocked it and let us step in. But before Envy set foot in there Mustang stopped him and made him look at Mustang's face.

~I can't forgive you but i can try to forget since you've changed.

And with these words Mustang locked us inside cell.