fifteen

The Dominican Republic was absolutely amazing. I had an amazing time with my family, but now I'm sad because my uncles and dad left yesterday when we returned.

I walk through the hallways and see Jackson, my eyes growing wide.

He had a blue cast on his arm, tons of signatures already.

"Jackson?" I spoke as we grew closer, my pace quickening.

"What the hell happened?" I asked as he hugged me and kissed my head.

"Got injured at practice," he spoke with a sly smile.

"Well, I figured. What happened?" I asked as I looked up at him.

"Cade and I got into it, he shoved me down and I fell on it weird. I broke it," he spoke as Cade walked by.

"Hey man," Cade called towards him as Jackson waved back for a response.

"I guess you're okay now?" I asked.

He nodded, "About not telling things. What happened to you on vacation? You have to tell me, I saw it on a magazine."

I sighed, "My dad and I got mobbed and I got hurt. I'm fine though, I promise."

"Good, I got worried and my phone didn't have good service at the hospital," he spoke, "staying overnight isn't always fun."

I raised my eyebrow, "Overnight?"

"I got a bad concussion," he mumbled.

"Jackson Daniel," I spoke.

"I'm fine. I've got to go, I'll see you later," he spoke as he pecked my lips and walked away.

//

"What the hell are you thinking Cade?!" Jackson screamed from the bleachers.

It's Friday and J dragged me from my house to watch. I told him he didn't need to, since he probably doesn't want to watch the one sport he can't play right now.

He sighed, sitting back down, reaching for his phone. His eyes went wide and his mouth gaped opened a little. I could see small tears forming, him closing them and ducking his head.

"J? Baby, what's wrong?" I asked grabbing his hand, my other going to the back of his head as I rubbed his hair.

"My grandfather is dead, my brother texted me," he spoke as his voice cracked.

"Let's get you home, okay?" I spoke as I got up from my seat, a few people complaining behind me.

He stood up, both of us leaving the bleachers. He stopped at his truck, leaning against it and crying.

I walk over, hugging him tightly as tears dampen my shirt. My fingers runs through his hair as he whimpers.

"He was the closest thing I had to my dad left," he whimpered as my heart broke.

"You need to be with your family," I spoke to him, "they need you Jackson."

"I can't Emma, I can't go there," he spoke.

"J-"

"No, please don't make me," he spoke.

"Make you?" I asked suspicious.

"Sh-She hurts me. Cade didn't break my arm, she did. Nick didn't give me that huge bruise, she did. Whatever has happened to me, she's done it. I can't stand it anymore, Emma. Please, god please, do not make me go back," he cried as my eyes widened.

"What else has she done?" I asked.

"Em-"

"No, Jackson. Tell me what she has done before I take off your shirt and pants to look for injuries myself," I spoke raising my voice.

"She's cut me," he mumbled.

"Where?" I asked.

He didn't answer, so I took off his shirt. Before my eyes is the grossest cut I have seen. Its purple and swollen, and there is another above it.

"Jackson," I speak quietly, "why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to think of me differently, or treat me like my coaches," he spoke.

"Baby, this is infected. We have to go to the hospital," I spoke.

I have never, ever, seen him act so frightened.

"No, no they'll ask what happened. I can't lie again," he rambled as tears streamed down his face.

"I can lie, Jackson. But you aren't going home, you'll stay with me until we figure this out, okay?"

//

"Mom, I need you," I spoke into the phone, my voice shakey.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" She asked as I heard her rise from wherever she was, probably the couch.

"It's Jackson. It's bad," I spoke with a sigh.

"I'm on my way, alright? Are you at the hospital?" She asked as I heard her crank the car.

"Yeah," I nodded as she said 'okay' and hung up.

I waited for maybe five minutes and then saw my mothers figure run into the hospital.

I walk over, "Mom, his mom beats him. He can't go back, I can't let him go back. He has cuts that are infected. She broke his arm, gives him bruises. He told me that she pushed him down the stairs and gave him a concussion and that's how his arm got broken."

"Shh, call down, slow down. He isn't going back, I can promise you that. He'll be staying with us until we can figure this out, okay?" She spoke as she hugged me.

"Thank you mom," I spoke as she kissed my cheek.

"Your welcome sweetheart, now let's go check on him, okay?"

//

Last night, Jackson and I didn't sleep. We were up all night, either him crying about the tragic lost of his grandfather or me telling him tour stories of my father and uncles.

Speaking of my father, let's hope my mom didn't tell him that Jackson is staying here for a while. My dad would probably kill me.

It's now 2 in the afternoon on this rainy Saturday. My brothers stayed with my grandmother and my mom had to go see her brother today and won't be back until tomorrow morning.

We've been in bed all day, not even getting up for food. We woke up about an hour ago, both of us in a comfortable silence.

I look over and take notice that Jackson has lulled himself back to sleep, small snores releasing from his lips.

I heard his phone go off. I reach for it, the name reading 'mom'. I answer it, getting up from the bed and going to my bathroom.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone, hearing a scoff.

"Who is this? Jacksons slut?" She spoke angrily into the phone.

"Excuse me?"

"I think you heard my clearly sweetheart. Where is my son?" She asked.

"Asleep, obviously. That's why he didn't answer," I spoke in an annoyed tone.

"Who gave you the right to talk to me like that?"

"Who gave you the right to talk to me like that? After all, I am taking care of your son," I spit as I heard a small cough from behind me.

I turned, seeing Jackson looking at me.

"Who is that?" He mouthed.

"Your mom," I mouthed back as his eyes went wide.

"Hang up," he whispered, "if you piss her off she'll say something like-"

His whisper was interrupted by her voice saying, "Damn, your an annoying brat. No wonder why your real parents didn't want you."