one

Emma Hemmings

"Ryder!" I screamed as I chased him down the hallway.

"Ryder, please give me back my car keys! I have to meet Ella in ten minutes!" I spoke as he stopped and turned.

He went to the edge of the staircase and dropped them, the keys falling to the first floor and crashing against the floor. I knew he'd end up being the evil twin.

I went downstairs and grabbed my keys from the floor and went into the kitchen.

After my mom had Dylan, we moved to a bigger house because my parents wanted at least one more child, but they ended up with two. Thank god they got a 5 bedroom house, Ryder and Mason wouldn't last in a room together for more than three hours at a time.

"Daddy?" I called as I searched for him.

"Yeah sweetheart?" He called back as he came from the laundry room.

"I'm off to meet El, I'll see you later," I spoke as I went and kissed his cheek.

"Bye baby girl, love you," he spoke.

"Love you too. Oh, and when is mom coming home?" I asked.

My mom is a pediatrician, but sometimes her office flies her around to different places for help.

"Should be home tonight. If not, then she will definitely be here tomorrow morning," he spoke as I nodded and left.

"Bye Em," Dylan spoke from the couch.

"Bye dude, see you later," I spoke as I walked by and messed up his hair, then I left.

Even though we're six years apart, Dylan and I are close for siblings. I know that I'm adopted and all, but I have no one else besides him. He's the oldest out of my family. All my cousins are his age and under, but they aren't like Dylan.

I got in my car and drove off to Ella's house. She had something to tell me, something important.

I pull in her driveway and she came and sat in my car, something we've done since I met her and I got my car. When we were younger, we'd make our parents get out of the car so we could talk and share our dreams. I'm so glad she's my bestfriend.

"Hey," she spoke.

"Hey, what'd you have to tell me?" I asked.

"You know Jackson?" She asked me.

"Yes, he's the hottest guy in school El. What about him?"

"His dad died. Yesterday, my dad got called to his murder scene," she spoke.

Ella's dad is in the FBI and her mom is a nurse.

"What? Oh my god, thats awful," i spoke.

"I know, but hey, are we still staying at your place this weekend? My parents were wondering to see if they needed to back out of going to Hawaii."

"Yes, we're staying at my house. You're staying until Tuesday, right?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, but I have to go now. My brother is having his girlfriend over tonight for dinner and I have to be nice," she rolled her eyes as she waved goodbye and got out of my car.

I laughed and waved back, pulling out of her driveway and going to get ice cream for the family. I feel like being nice.

When I got home, I put the ice cream in the freezer and went up to my room.

I changed into leggings and one of my dad's old band t-shirts before leaving my room and going to my parents room, to find my dad watching television.

"What's up doll?" He asked as I walked over and laid with him, my head falling to his chest.

"If I ask you a question, you promise you will tell me the truth?" I asked him.

"Always sweetheart, what's the question?" He asked as he wrapped his arms around my frame.

"Why didn't my parents want me?"

I felt him stiffen, then relax a bit.

"Well, Emma they were just too young. They were still in high school and decided to work towards academics than a baby. But you know what?" He spoke.

"What?" I asked.

"If they wouldn't have given you up, I wouldn't have you. And to be honest sweetheart, that would be heart breaking because you made me a parent and you made me so happy."

"Awe, daddy," I spoke as I hugged him tightly.

"What's going through your mind that made you ask that?" He asked me.

"A boy in my grades dad died last night, it just made me think about my real parents," i spoke.

"That's awful, but maybe it was just his time, you know?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

//

"Emma?"

"Emma? Will you play with me?"

"Mason, son come on. She's resting right now."

"But daddy, Ryder won't play with me and Dylan is playing baseball with Uncle Calum."

I opened my eyes and spoke, "I've got it dad."

"You sure sweets?" He asked from the doorway.

"Yeah, c'mon Mase," I spoke as I got up from my dads bed and went to the game room in the basement.

"What do you wanna play?" I asked him

"I don't wanna play. I just wanna talk," he spoke.

"Okay, what about?" I asked as we sat on the couch.

"Ryder? How come we're twins, I don't want him to be my twin."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because he's mean and won't play with me. He likes Dylan more and ignores me," he spoke sadly.

"Well, I don't know. But you know what?"

"What?" He spoke.

"If he wasn't your twin, then he wouldn't be alive. You don't want that, do you?"

"No, I just don't want him to be like me," he spoke sadly.

"Oh Mason, its okay," I spoke as he started to cry. He's always been emotional.

He came and sat in my lap and I hugged him as he let his feelings out.

"I'll be your friend Mason, okay?" I spoke as he nodded.

"You'll be nice to me?"

"Yes, I love you."

"I love you too Em, thanks for talking with me," he spoke as I nodded and kissed his cheek.

We returned back upstairs and Mason walked past my dad and tried hiding the fact that he had been crying.

"What's wrong?" He asked me as Mason disappeared upstairs.

"Mason is having a hard time dad. We need to watch him and Ryder," i spoke.

"How so?"

"Ryder is being mean and won't play with him and likes Dylan more. Mason just feels alone, he'll be okay. I told him I'd be his friend," I spoke as he hugged me and kissed my head.

"That's my girl."