1·5

That spark in James's eyes scared the poop out of me

That spark in James's eyes scared the poop out of me. He maintained a terribly smug smirk on his expression that taunted me. When he moved forward, I stepped back.

James chuckled under his breath. "You don't have to act all scared and terrified, Avery."

Oh, this was no "act". I was actually very terrified. To the point that I couldn't form any coherent words. It was like my brain had gone into sudden retirement and my legs were so eager to run away, they couldn't move a step. And James seemed to be enjoying each moment of it.

"What are you doing here?" asked Kong who I'd completely forgotten about until now.

James removed his hands from his pockets, pulling out a white envelope in the process. His gaze and mine were in a competition of who'd break first all the while. Then he held the envelope out in front of me. "I came to give you this." He nodded towards the envelope, urging me to take it.

I bit the inside of my cheek, dreading everything. Part of me wanted to create a scene and tell him to get out. To yell at him, lie that I didn't want to ever see him again. But I couldn't.

Slowly, I took the envelope. "What's this?" I asked in a low voice, gaze drifting down to it.

James replied, "an invite to the evening party my parents are hosting tomorrow. They're officially handing over the business to me and I want you to be there." Put gazes locked again as he completed his sentence. "As my plus one."

In the background, Something crashed to the floor. Both of us turned to Kong who'd dropped the tv remote, a look of sheer unbelief on his expression. When he managed to pick up his jaw from the floor, he stuttered, "wh-when did this happen?" He motioned between James and I.

That question snapped me out of whatever daze I'd previously been in. Blinking I faced James and held out the invite back to him, narrowing my gaze "I told you. We're finished. For good. The sooner you give up, the better."

A flash of hurt crossed his eyes and I knew I'd struck a nerve. I'd felt it but I couldn't drop these walls. Not right now.

James snorted and stepped forward. It felt like he wanted to melt me. This time however, I stood exactly where I was and fought to look equally dangerous. But he could see through it. He always could.

"I'm doing you a favour, Avery. This is the only way you can save your family from bankruptcy. So you better take it." When he stepped back and tilted his head to the side, I let out a breath. He smiled. "Besides, we already have your parents' blessings." He shrugged. Then turning away towards the door, he added, "All the details are inside the invite. If you have any questions you could either call me or give me a visit. I stay directly across from you."

I stared dumbfounded at his back.

Wait what? He'd already told.my parents about this? And they'd agreed? Without my consent? And he was staying directly where?!

The invite creased as my hold tightened. I was so going to give them a piece of my mind later.

"Don't you think this is a little too low? Even for you? Forcing yourself on your ex like this," I snarled as he made to step out of the room.

James paused and without turning around, he replied, "I'll be back tomorrow morning to take you shopping. You'd need something proper to wear and unfortunately, I don't think you own anything worthy enough. Goodbye."

And he left like that. Leaving a hot trail of unanswered questions in his wake.

The second the door swung shut behind him, I let out am angry growl from the base of my throat and marched into the room. Tossing the invite across the room, I headed for my phone then snatched it up and dialed my mum.

As the phone rang, Kong's voice cut through the silence. "Um, Avery, I think you need to calm down-"

"Calm down?!" I cut him off, spitting fire. "James just crossed the boundary and my parents let him. What am I? Some puppet they can bend according to their rul-"

The static voice of my mum rang from the phone in m hand, cutting me off. "Hello dear."

I slapped the phone to my ear and snapped at my mother. "Did you not find it necessary to tell me about your agreement with James first before giving him whatever permission you gave him?"

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Oh don't act like you don't know. Tell me why you used me as a pawn in your stupid game instead of asking me first! You know how things are e between us and how hard I've worked to forget him and still-"

"Avery..." Interrupted Kong, a warning look in his eye.

I completely ignored him. "Still you told him he could go ahead with whatever he has planned. What don't you understand in I can't date him again! How could you force me into--"

"Avery!" Mum snapped back. "I have not spoken with James since the both of you fell out and I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You-" All the anger burned down with that single declaration. "You don't?"

James was dead. So dead.

"No I don't. Did he really ask you to be his girlfriend?"

I rubbed my forehead. Fuck. This was exactly what he wanted. For me to tell my parents about his proposition myself. Just great.

"Er... yeah. Kinda. He conned me into it."

Mum gasped in happiness. "That's amazing! This means you can finally get him to talk to his parents and help us."

"No, no, Mum. That isn't happening. I'm not accepting it." I frowned my hand still against my forehead.

"Yes, it is because you're going to accept his offer and be his girlfriend."

My frown deepened. This was what James wanted. "No. You need to fix this one yourself, mum. I can't do this."

"This business is my responsibility as much as it's yours. If it crumbles, you'll have nothing, we'll all be wrecked. You better think about that, child." She hung up.

I smacked the phone down onto the counter and sighed deeply, running a hand through my hair. Then I let out the yell I'd been holding in.