0·4

Since Kong and I met, I'd only seen him this stressed twice; the first was when James and my breakup began telling on his relationship with Patty

Since Kong and I met, I'd only seen him this stressed twice; the first was when James and my breakup began telling on his relationship with Patty. The second was the first time he'd cooked dinner. That night, we'd ended up ordering pizza.

Turns out my bestie was cut out for waiting, not cooking.

Now, Kong and I had just finished our business admin lectures for the day and were currently on our way to the carpark. If we didn't get there in five minutes, we were going to be late for work and Roy would have our heads. However, I didn't think that was the cause of Kong's current unrest.

His knapsack was slung across his body diagonally over his shoulder. Our footsteps matched and the silence between us was louder than the noises students made in the hallway.

As we rounded a corner, Kong finally spoke up for the first time since we left the lecture hall.

"Am I the only one concerned that James is moving into our apartment?" he asked with a straight face and an attention fixed on the tiles his feet stepped on.

Of course he wasn't. Infact, he probably wasn't half as concerned as I was. For the sake of all good things, James was frickin' moving into our apartment! That meant we were certainly going to be seeing more of each other.

What was even more bothering were his intentions. I was sure he knew very well that I lived there. Why would he want to breathe the same air I did, talk more of live in the same apartment? The whole thing was brain-rattling. So I tried to not think about it too much.

It wasn't working.

"No," I replied to him simply.

Kong sighed heavily as we entered the school's carpark, running both hands through his dark straight hair, momentarily pushing back his brand new bangs so his blue eyes were visible.

"You're being alarmingly quiet," he breathed. It sounded like he was trying to comfort himself. "You do realize that if James is moving in, Pat would constantly come to visit, right?"

Silently, I scolded myself for being so selfish. While letting my mind run wild with how bad this situation was for me, I'd totally forgotten that it was equally as bad for Kong-if not worse. He chose me, his best friend, over his girlfriend.

The next words that left my lips were, "I'm sorry." And they came out as a bare whisper.

Kong brushed his bangs away from his eyes again. He'd gotten this new haircut yesterday despite all my warnings. As it seemed, he was currently regretting his decision. "You don't have to be."

Oh, but I did. He put me before his own self.

"How's your family business doing?" askedKong suddenly, literally out of nowhere. Here I wanted us to talk about how he was feeling, not my failure to do what my parents asked of me.