Chapter 8: The Shot of Light in the Dark

I ran away scared for our lives, scared we'd get hurt again. Then she spoke...

Starfire: "Hello Mya, I am Starfire your phoenix, that way you can ease your mind from the thousand questions you have" she said sarcastically in my mind. I desperately tried to focus as I continued to run from the burning house, with my brothers the cart behind me. I almost tripped as I heard her talk but I managed to continue running. I ran so fast but she kept talking.

Starfire: "I am the power all of those elders told you about. The power Astella had. She was strong but her own mind tore her to pieces. She was strong but not the strongest of them all, but I have hope for you. I'm going to sleep now; I need energy to heal the wings he stole from us but I'll be here when you need me. We'll talk later savior."

With that I saw her fall onto a bed in an all-black room. No walls, nothing just darkness. She looked just like me but she looked like a blood thirsty vampire that wanted to kill, but when she fell asleep, she looked as if she was a child in pain. I felt bad for her but I let he sleep; I'll talk to her later when we're all safe.

After about an hour of running for my life and that of my brothers, I ended up getting to the other side of town. I tried to stop running but I ran into a dirt wall after I had let go of the cart.

Mya: "OWWWWW", I said as I face planted into the wall.

Jay: "You ok Sunflower?", he said getting out of the cart.

Mya: "I'm fine. You ok, eyebrows?"

Erwin: "Yeah I'm fine", he responded getting out of the cart, still half asleep from the hour-long ride.

I looked in front of me and saw a bunch of wooden planks and a ripped-up tarp. Next to it was an old box with fishing net hanging out of it, some old rust knives and a bundle of tangled ropes. We had no where to stay and we had no clue where we were at all, so maybe just maybe I could make a house or some sort of shelter for us to live under.

About 30 feet away was a hole in the dirt roof of the underground city in a small cave. I zoned out of this world only thinking being able to get out of this dirt filled city of blood. I walked away from my brothers until I stood directly under the hole. I could see the night sky filled to the brim with the stars my ancestors made with their own hands. Many years ago, Astraios created the stars and the planets right along side Gaia whom created Earth, but alas he was killed in the great Titan war. During the titan war Astraios, Kronos, Rhea, Oceanus, Coeus, Hyperion, Crius, Iapetus, Theia, Themis, and Mnemosyne were all killed and imprisoned in Tartarus by the three eldest gods (Zeus, Poseidon and Hades). Astraios and 13 other gods were fated to rise again in the body of seemingly normal humans. Dad says that I am the one who will awaken their sleeping gods, but I never believed I could do it.

Back to the story...

The hole was higher than I thought. I couldn't fly because I had no wings, so I summoned a sword that had a built-in gun that shoots out a line that can anchor onto anything. I pointed it up towards the lip of the hole and shot. It got smaller and smaller as the line got farther away from me, but the line was too short to reach the top.

Jay: "What the hell are you doing Mya!!! Just fly up there and we can get out!!!", he said running towards me.

Mya: "No!"

Jay: "Why?"

Mya: "I just can't Jay", I said looking at the floor.

Jay: "Why not? Just tell me and I can help and so can Erwin."

Mya: "No I can't."

Jay: "WHY? TELL ME SO I CAN HELP YOU!!!!"

Mya: "BECAUSE I CAN'T! I CAN'T FLY ANYMORE. THEY STOLE MY WINGS. RIPPED THEM RIGHT OUT OF MY GODDAMN BACK!!! I CAN'T FLY, I CAN'T SLEEP, I CAN'T! I JUST CAN'T ANYMORE OKAY! MY BODY CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE! I WANNA GO HOME! I WANNA GO BACK TO WHEN MOM AND DAD WHERE ALIVE, WHEN DAD WASN'T SICK, WHEN WE WERE ALL HAPPY", I said with my hand slapping my half-covered chest, leaving red marks on my bare skin from how hard I was hitting. "I DON'T WANNA DO THIS ANYMORE. PLEASE I CAN'T, I can't, I just can't anymore", I said as I fell to my knees with a single tear streaming down my face as I tried to cry, but just couldn't. I held onto my shoulders trying to cry and give my body some relief but alas I couldn't. I tried to force it out but I could not shed any more than a single tear. Jay knelt down beside me and pulled me to his chest. I felt Erwin's footsteps as he made his way behind me and then he gasped.