27: Behind the painting

Y/n's POV

We were laying in the same exact position. He was looking at me with the same smirk on his face. If only his stares can kill I would've been goners by now. I can't take it anymore!

"Seriously guys? here? in my room?" a voice interrupted our staring contest. We both turned our heads to the side to see Mirabel, now sitting on her bed with arms crossed.

I quickly shoved Camilo aside, his head hit the wall with a loud thud. "It's not what you think!" I defended, waving both hands.

She ignored my words and looked at Camilo with furrowed eyebrows. "Since when did you get here?" 

"Uh, after you fell asleep...?" he gulped and let out a sheepish smile.

"Get out." she points at the door. 

'Wait--"

"I said get out Camilo,  Y/n need some personal space." she says calmly. Camilo let out a heavy sigh before standing up. 

"See you around hermosa." he kisses my cheek and walked out of the room. Mirabel quickly closes the door and let out a squeal. 

Tf? I thought she was mad?

She sat beside me with a smug grin. "So... how was it?" 

"How was what?" I asked back with furrowed eyebrows. 

"You know..." she teases, making smooch noises. "Did he left any marks?" she asked again, taking a peek on my neck and my collar bone. 

I shoved her hand away. "Girl, chill. There's nothing in there, nothing happened, okay?" 

 "But--he was hovering on top of you."

"Yes, he was but he just caught me off guard, nothing else." 

"But he kissed you, right?" 

"Uh, well, yes, but it was just a peck." 

"Are you sure about that?" she asks. I gave her a deadpan look. "Okay, okay, I'll stop asking." she chuckled and went back to her bed. She fixes her bed before throwing herself in it , pulling the blanket to cover her up. "Aren't you going back to sleep?" she asked.

"I'll try." 

No one's POV

After Carlos went up to his room hoping to get back to sleep in which he failed, he went out of his room and into the secret room behind the painting where Bruno usually hang out with his children (the rats).

The wooden floor creaked as he takes heavy steps until he arrives in the mentioned room. He closes the tiny wooden door and leaned his back on it, letting his back slide as he sat down. In split second he began sobbing, hugging both knees and burying his face on them.

His sobs can be heard all over the tiny room, it was the only place in the casita where he can cry freely without minding anyone that might hear him, except for his older sister Dolores.

Nonstop tears rolled down his cheeks, this time he didn't try to stop them. He knew it would only make him feel worse if he keep it in. His cold-hearted act was just to not make him look weak in front of others. 

A loud sigh escaped from his mouth as his heavy sobs slowed down. He narrowed his eyes upon seeing a cat approaching him, coming out from a hole in the room . He pats it as it slowly rubs its body on him, making a low purring sound. 

"Antonio sent you here, didn't he?" he asks the furry animal and it let out a meow as if telling him yes. He smiled and let out a soft chuckle. "Thanks Toñito." he muttered and continued petting the cat.

Dolores' POV

I went out of Mama's room and stumbled upon a sleepy Antonio. "What happened? Is mami okay? Zac told me she was thundering." he says. 

"Zac?"

"Oh, this is Zac, my new friend." he points at the tiny mouse on his shoulder. I nodded my head. 

"Mami's fine now, she was just having a nightmare. Papa's taking care of her." he nods his head. A few seconds on I hear light sobs, I looked around which made Antonio look at me in a weird way. 

"Are you okay hermana? are you hearing something again?" he asks and I nodded. My eyes searched here and there. I walked near one painting and leaned my ears on it. I heard it loud and clear. 

Could it be Carlos again?

With a worried look on my face I listened again. His sobs were getting heavier and louder. Maybe he thought I was in my room sleeping where I can't hear him because it was soundproof.

"It's Carlos again? is it?" asked Antonio also leaning on the framed painting. I sighed and slowly nodded my head. "What should we do Papito? I wanna give him space but I'm also worried for him he's been like this before but it got worse these days." 

Antonio rubs a finger on his chin. "Don't worry hermana, I can just send Luna in there, it'll help him calm down." he says and out of nowhere a cat appeared maybe from his room. I nod and moved the painting aside as Luna jumps in. We watch her walk in through the narrow hallway, disappearing in the dark.

I placed back the painting quietly and we waited. Soon I hear Luna purring and a voice talking. Carlos. His sobs soon fade away and I could hear sniffing and him talking to Luna. 

I listened and a smile formed on my lips, knowing he was now okay. Antonio looked at me curiously, waiting for answers. "Is he okay?"

"Hmm," I hummed whiled nodding my head. "He knew you send Luna in there and he says thank you." a wide smile plastered on Antonio's face. 

I guess his plan did work. I wonder if he'd been doing this all along when his animal friends tells him something's going on with someone in the house.