9.

DAPHNE

For the first time in a very long time, I actually felt pretty. I admired my reflection in the long mirror Ash had installed in the room for quite sometime. My short, black hair had been washed and shampooed carefully and was smelling lovely as it framed my face. I had on a short, red flowery gown that hugged my body curves well and one of Ash's beautiful brown sandals graced my feet. I touched the gleaming gold chain on my neck in silent awe.

When last had I felt so pretty? My last prom at high school before I got kidnapped?

Probably.

Ash stood at a corner of the room, quietly studying my expressions as if trying to know if I approved of what she had done with my look. I nodded to her, letting her know I really liked what I was seeing and she grinned back at me, coming towards me.

She stood behind me, her reflection now showing in the mirror too. I raised an eyebrow. "I thought werewolves didn't have a reflection?"

She laughed, her face breaking into genuine amazement at my question. "Where did you hear that one from?"

I shrugged. "I thought it was a legend."

"It's vampires that don't have reflections." She frowned slightly, crinkling her nose. "Those creatures are not remotely as human as we are."

"I don't think they're all that bad." I wasn't exactly human either, so I didn't believe in judging other creatures.

She looked at me in disbelief. "Have you ever met one of those bastards?"

I shook my head negative. I really had not met one before.

"I hope you never do." She made a noise of disapproval at the back of her throat. "I don't know which werewolves hate more, them or witches."

I decided to end the conversation at that point, bringing up another topic which she thankfully led on. My whole dress up was for dinner tonight, I was supposed to meet the majority of the pack tonight. I looked at my legs, wondering if I should change out of my cute outfit because of the scars on my legs.

Marks of pain gotten from several months of beating.

They were healing now, especially since the doctor had started applying a lotion to it but I was still a bit conscious about it.

"We better get down there now," Ash said, now holding my hand to help me out. I could walk on my own but the progress was very slow especially with my now swollen ankle. "My brother is practically barking at me."

I was confused. "What?"

"The mind-link."

"What's that?"

"Well," she explained as we left the room. Ash didn't dress up too much, she had on just a blue, floral top over black pants with her hair packed in a pony tail as usual. "All werewolves have a mind-link we communicate through, we can talk to each other over long distances that way. It's really effective especially when we're in battle."

"So it's like sending a text in your head?"

"Exactly." We were descending a flight of stairs and she basically lifted me, carrying me bridal style the same way her brother had earlier. Like I weighed nothing. Werewolves must have unnatural strength. "You're going to form one with Dante when he marks you."

"But I'm not a werewolf." I pointedly avoided asking about the 'marking' thing she just mentioned. I didn't think I'd like what I'd be hearing.

"It doesn't matter. All mates form it."