Chapter Two

Adeline and her team had decided to stay at Eleanor's until cameras could be set up and an officer could be assigned to protect her.
Adeline had tried to sleep in one of the spare rooms upstairs but she ended up tossing and turning all night. Around 2am Adeline got fed up and decided to go down stairs.
Jack was lying on his back on one sofa whilst Abbot was asleep on the other. Adeline looked over them both from the living room doorway before entering the room. She quietly walked towards where Jack lay before she climbed onto the sofa with him. She lay her head on his chest and Jack's arms unconsciously wrapped themselves around her.
"Addie" he muttered in his sleep, pulling her close to him.

Adeline blinked against the light, seeping through the curtains, with a light groan she rubbed her eyes erasing the sleep from them.
"Good morning" Jack smiled at her.
"What time is it?" She grumbled.
"About 10:00" he told her.
"We are so late for work" she groaned.
"The team have gone in to catch up on work. We're fine. You need your sleep" he said pulling her to him.
"Why do you think I ended up here. I couldn't sleep" she grumbled.
"I figured" he said "You always slept better with me there"
"What about the girls? I adopted Alexis and Hazel, where are they?"
"Alexis took Hazel to school this morning. They're fine. The team are working on getting an officer assigned to them" he explained.
"Thank you Jack. You're a good guy" Adeline smiled down at him as she leant on his chest. Adeline leaned down, bringing their lips together. The door to the kitchen opened with a creak, making Jack and Adeline pull apart quickly.
"Oh. Sorry to interrupt" Eleanor coughed awkwardly, placing two cups of tea on the coffee table.
"I'll go freshen up" Adeline said awkwardly, heading out of the room and upstairs.
"Well, well, well" Eleanor smirked.
"What?" Jack smiled, sitting up on the sofa.
"The two of you together again despite the circumstances" Eleanor smiled.
"I never stopped loving her. She just thought that she would never be good enough. She told me to walk away, and I did. It was the worst decision of my life. I don't regret my children but I just wish that they were ours" Jack sighed. Abbot, Pierce and Taylor entered the living room, sensing the tenseness in the air.
"What's going on?"
"Love is in the air" Eleanor replied.
"Love never left" Jack muttered just loud enough for them to hear.
"Hey. What are we doing today?" Adeline asked as she appeared in the room. All eyes were fixed on her. "What?" She asked sensing the tenseness in the air.
"Nothing. Now before anything else you need to eat" Eleanor smiled, guiding her to the kitchen.

After Eleanor had stuffed them all full of breakfast the team headed into work. As Adeline walked down the hallways she could feel everyone's eyes on her. She kept her eyes downcast as Jack walked beside her, glaring at those who dared whisper about her.
"I'm here" Jack reassured her as the team lead her into their office. Adeline went over to her desk, skimming over the files that lay there.
"Detective Superintendent Thompson, We need to talk" Came detective Conan's voice from behind her.
"What do you want now? Did you come to call me a slut again because don't I already know I am" she sighed ignoring him.
"It's about your father" the sentence brought an ice cold chill down her spine.
"What about him?" She turned to him, finally looking at him.
"Conference room" he motioned with his head and she headed in there followed by her team and Jack.
"So?"
"Sam Olsen, Thomas Dyer and I were working on a drugs case-"
"I already know this"
"The case was tied to a Mob boss, David Parker-"
"What?" Adeline fell into a chair in shock.
"We thought he was dead and his children had different names. I didn't realize it was you" he admitted.
"We changed our names and we took my mother's maiden name" she told him "My father is a mob boss and drug dealer?"
"Yes. And he's alive and quiet possibly after you"
"Of course he's after me. He raped me every night and denied it in court despite my room being covered in his... Of course he's after me" she sighed.
"So what do we do now?" Jack asked.
"Adeline goes back into witness protection-"
"No" she said defiantly "This ends now. I'm ending this"
"Addie. He wants you and my guess is that he'll stop at nothing" Jack tried to dissuade her.
"I don't care. I'm tired Jack. I'm so tired. When I close my eyes I dream of him, everytime I see a parent holding his daughters hand I think of him. This ends now, because I cannot keep living like this, wondering if he's coming for me, wondering if I deserve this. I need it to stop" she said as Jack took her face in his hands.
"I know. We'll stop it. Together" he reassured her.