15

3 years ago.

Bolin and Kitty are having a slumber party and insisted I come. The last slumber party I had was with Sarai, and the last time I was ever able to hang out with her. Yeah, a lot went down that night.

I don't get it. Since meeting, Kitty hasn't let me breath. I was awful to her when we first met, and yet she insists that we're friends. I've never met anyone like her and Bolin. They're both so... Odd.

"Jade," I hear Kitty call.

"Oh, huh? Sorry, I must've spaced out. What are we doing?"

"We're playing 24 questions," Bolin answers.

"I thought it was 21 questions," I say with a raised eyebrow.

"That's no fun," Kitty says with a shrug of her shoulders.

See? I told you, these people are odd. But I guess if it'll stop them from bugging me all night, then I'll play.

"Fine," I tell them.

"It's your turn to ask Kitty a question," Bolin tells me.

"I can ask her any question?" I ask.

"Yep!" They answer.

'Why the heck are you so set on getting to know me?' I think to myself.

"...Um, I guess what I'm curious about is, where is the Avatar?" I ask instead.

The Avatar has supposedly been in the South Poles recovering for some time now. Kitty is fine and she was in really bad shape, too, so why hasn't the Avatar returned? She can't possibly be in the south still. I'm just curious because this whole time, Kitty has been doing her job.

Kitty's smile disappears and her face flushes. What? Did I say something wrong? I look to Bolin who gives me a comforting smile while he places a hand on Kitty's back.

"I'm sorry," I apologize genuinely. "Was it something I said?"

"No, you're fine. It's just... Korra is a really sensitive subject for her," Bolin explains.

"Oh no, Kitty, I'm so sorry. I- I didn't know. I should've never-"

"No," she interrupts. "It's fine. My sister is the Avatar, and people have the right to ask where she is. The world needs her and she's gone, she owes everyone an explanation. The truth is, I only know what she's told my parents because... she hasn't spoken to me since I left the south. I write her, I call her, and yet I get nothing in return. Apparently she's leaving for Republic City soon, so I guess she's doing fine without me."

That's... Really sad. How can she do that? And to her own sister. My parents were never there for me, I'm use to it, but Kitty isn't use to this kind of treatment. She doesn't deserve it, and yet Korra is treating her like... Like how my parents treat me.

...

"You look terrible," I say to Kitty.

-Yet somehow perfect.

"What do you think you look like?" She asks rhetorically, getting annoyed.

"Well, at least we don't look as bad as them," I joke.

Bolin and Varrick look like death itself. They're nasty and sweaty looking. Their hair is a mess, and their clothes are ripped. They look like they've fought in the 100 year war.

"Ok, Varrick. How about you use your own legs for a while and give Bolin a break?" Kitty suggests as Bolin looks like he's about to collapse.

"You know, when I fled Republic City with Zhu Li, she carried me twenty miles in one day. And that was after she sprained her ankle."