5

18.

Suyin was like my mother. She was one of the few people who I genuinely cared about, and I was sure that her and her family would be in my life forever. I liked the way my grandmother treated me when Suyin was around. I liked how when she had the twins, it felt like my new siblings were born. I liked how her and Baatar came to all of my performances and supported me. I felt like I had a real family, because I did. My grandfather and I weren't blood related either, but that never mattered to me. He was still my family, and that's how I felt about Suyin and her family.

... And now, they want nothing to do with me.

...

"The Earth Kingdom is in chaos," President Raiko starts. "There's a vacuum of power, and I'm concerned about what will happen if someone doesn't take control of the situation."

Today, Raiko and the other world leaders are meeting together to discuss what should be done about the Earth Kingdom. Nothing good has happened. After the death of the Earth Queen, the entire Earth Kingdom was taken over by bandits. People were forced out of their homes, good people are getting their food and money taken from them, nowhere is safe.

My parents had to flee Ba Sing Se and take refuge here in Zaofu while my grandmother left her home and went to Ember Island. The Earth Kingdom is almost inhabitable. If you didn't know what was happening, you'd think there was another war. This isn't the place where I grew up, it's unrecognizable. This is a nightmare! Even Zaofu is filled with tension, and people fear that one day someone's going to come here and tear it all down.

And on top of that, the Avatar is gone. I never cared about the Avatar, because we went years without one, and Zaofu was one of the safest cities in the world. Then I heard about how she defeated the Equalist, and how she defeated Vaatu, the spirit of chaos. Then her and her sister saved the airbenders. They saved Opal! And just like that, I had nothing but respect for her. And now, she's gone. She was poisoned, and last I heard, she was sent back to the South Pole to learn how to walk again. The world needing you and there's nothing you can do about it? ... I couldn't imagine.

"And you think I should be the one?" Suyin asks him.

"You're the perfect person to take charge. The world leaders trust you, and, as a Beifong, you have credibility in the Earth Kingdom," Master Tenzin explains.

What about the Avatar's sister? Um... Kitty! I heard she also was sent back home after being poisoned, but she's fine now? She's not the Avatar, but if she can really airbend and waterbend like they claim, then why can't we work with that? I would love to speak up, but it isn't my place. I'm Su's guard, I'm here to serve, and that's it.

"I'm honored that you thought of me, but I'm not interested in imposing my ideals on an entire nation," Su says. "I'm afraid I can't help you."

"Suyin, I know this isn't my place, but I think you should do this," Kuvira starts.

'What is she doing?' I ask myself.

"Zaofu has always been a beacon of modern progress," she continues. "And now you can share that with everyone."

"What would you have me do?" Su asks. "March into Ba Sing Se with an army? We'd be seen as conquerors and greeted with nothing but war."

"There are already wars. The Earth Queen nearly destroyed our nation. This is our opportunity to change things," Kuvira pushes.

"It's not going to happen."

...

Something in Kuvira snapped that day. Kuvira was raised by Suyin. I had my grandparents, but Kuvira had Suyin, and that's it. Which is why I don't believe Kuvira loves Baatar Jr. That is basically his adopted sister. It's weird if you ask me.