A maid greeted us at the gate and escorted us inside the front yard.

As expected of a rich family, there was a grand fountain upon entering.

The front yard was landscaped beautifully and elegantly with white stones and marbles.

The scent of roses was traveling in the air as the yard was rich of it. The bushes were neatly trimmed with no leaf out of place.

There was even a trimmed bush shaped into a lion, the Durrant family's symbol.

Pebbles sat aesthetically on the side of the pathway leading to the front door.

Of course, knights were situated on the front door as well. We were searched before we could enter the mansion for security purposes.

After a thorough search, we were finally allowed to enter.

My heart was beating right out of my chest.

What are the odds that I will be accidentally meeting Lord Marshall?

For a guaranteed meeting with him, I need to be chosen and hired. But if I somehow accidentally meet him right now, I can save all the effort that I'm about to exert.

It's not like I can just ask the knights or the maids where Lord Marshall is. They'll probably become suspicious of me.

Besides, I need to be as discrete as possible if I don't want any gossip reaching the second prince's ears that could lead me to my death.

Upon entering the mansion, I paid little attention to the details or the design.

I wasn't listening to the maid's words either since I immediately scanned the hall for any signs of Lord Marshall.

Much to my dismay, no one was in the hall, besides the knights.

We followed the maid's footsteps as she led us to the end of the hall.

It was quite overwhelming to be inside such a magnificent mansion. Although my father was a baron, our house could never compare to the residence of Duke Durrant.

Just by walking from the front door to the end of the hall felt like I had already travelled a mile.

I had no idea who was going to interview us, but I got a bit of a clue as I saw the marvelous double doors that shimmered with gold as it stood before us.

I was secretly hoping that Lord Marshall would be the one to interview us, but it was unlikely.

Most likely, it would either be the head maid, head butler, or Lady Lisa herself.

I predict that it would be the latter since the double doors that stood before us was too grand.

As if it was even possible, I felt my heart, beat even faster than before.

Not only is my reputation on the line but so is my life.

I could die at any moment at the second prince's behest.

"Remember, Lady Lisa is a soft-spoken person, so do not shock her with any frivolous actions or else you'll be escorted out of the premises right away," the maid explained.

I already expected as much but I was still shocked that Lady Lisa would interview us directly.

Usually, trivial matters like this are taken care of by the head maid or the head butler, but it seems the lady wanted to personally choose her lady-in-waiting.

Understandable, but still, it was quite shocking.

After the maid's not-so-motivational monologue, she finally turned her back to softly knock on the double doors.