Part 13: „Who they really need"

On the day of the exam
Akio's POV:

„You called me?"

After we all finished our exams and were headed home, Uesugi-sama called out to me and wanted to discuss an urgent matter.

„Yes... Sato what do you think of the quintuplets?"

Without really having a distinct emotion in his face or voice he asked me a straightforward question.

„I think they're nice people, even though they've their obvious weaknesses I think they also have the potential to overcome them. With your help of course."

After I answered he had bit of an smile on his face, it looked rather bitter.

„With my help huh."

„What's the matter?"

„to be prompt about it, actually I quit my job as a tutor today and as a result the father even gave me a contact penalty."

„He did what???
Contact penalty??
Quitting???
But why?
Why would he do that?"

After hearing it, I had many questions so I tried and asked him about it,

„Why would you do that?"

I tried to ask him as calm as possible to not pressure him,

„Don't you feel guilty for leaving them?"

I ended up pressuring him anyway.
Something within me couldn't let this slide.

„I'm not fit of being a tutor, especially not their teacher. Over time I realized that if I keep teaching them they won't be able to get What they want.
They need a first class tutor, someone with experience or a genius kid like you."

I helped him teach the quintuplets for some time now, and I was able to see all of them grow.

All kinds of emotions were involved but one thing was clear...

„They were happy."

I know that uesugi-sama isn't the type of person to make his emotions obvious but even so I definitely saw a difference.

A difference between when he first started, and now.

The same goes for the girls, they've also changed from when I started.

Uesugi-sama wasn't their tutor for too long but even so, the impact he had on them is something not any person could've done.

The girls don't need me or a first class teacher, they need him.

„So you want me to take over?"

I asked while holding back my frustration,

„Yes."

He answered while looking deep in my eyes,

„You won't regret it?"

„I won't."

„You know..The girls took a big liking to you."

„Hahaha, thats only temporary. Soon they will get over it, I'm sure they will like u even more."

„So you not gonna act like you don't know that they see you as more than just a teacher?"

„I'm not dense. I noticed that most of them see me as a friend now."

He didn't realize all of it, but that's okay.

„And still? You even went ahead and got yourself a contact penalty?"