21.

"Your ex, what?" He seems caught off guard.

Running into an ex is never pleasant for anyone, not for you, not for your ex, and also not for your new love interest.

"I–I um... I ran into one of his friends." I stutter.

The nerves cause me to fucking stutter. I truly am a mess.

"Fuck," he breathes out and seems to think a little before he finds the right thing to say, "well, um... do you want to see him?"

It seems as if he is not sure how to react to this. I never gave him any details about Bodie. He doesn't know where we stand.

"I don't think so..." I whisper.

"You don't think so? Or you don't want to?" I know he is trying not to be impatient, but this is hard on him. I should explain my previous relationship to him sooner rather than later.

"I'm not ready to see him today." I finally answer him with some determination in my voice.

I already knew that I won't be up for seeing him today. But I think, in the future, I might want to see him again. It's not the fact that I'm not over him. It's just the past that will be brought to the surface again if I see him.

I already freaked out when I saw his friend, who I'd never personally met. What do you think would happen if I were to see him out of the blue like that.

"You don't have to. We can easily avoid him." He says and leans in to place a kiss on my forehead.

I can't help but notice the sour expression when saying him. Obviously, he is not fond of my ex.

I appreciate his understanding. I hope he doesn't think the wrong thing about why I don't want to see him. Should I maybe tell him I don't have feelings for Bodie anymore?

I close my eyes as he pulls me into his chest. The familiar warmth of his body makes me feel at ease a little more. He is my comfort person.

"Thank you for bringing my lighter here. I hadn't realized I didn't bring it. You helped me out loads; otherwise, I would be the one freaking out." He jokes.

I know he is serious about it, though. He is one of those athletes that care about their superstitious beliefs.

"It's no problem. I'm glad I could help." I breathe out.

We hold onto each other for longer. I feel like for both of us—the worlds disappear—when being this close to the other.

I know he has to leave soon. That's why I'm not surprised when he does eventually moves away.

He looks at me, a caring smile on his face. He reaches out to take my chin, making sure I look at him.

"Hold in there, okay. I know you're strong—wait for me after the game. We'll get out of here without anyone noticing us. I promise." He tells me with confidence.

He then walks backward until his back is against the door. He is ready to push it open and go back in.

He lifts his hand with the lighter, bringing it close to his face as if he were to light a cigarette—except he has no cigarette in his mouth.

He lightens the flame in front of his lips.

His eyes bore into mine. However, my eyes can't stay focused on his. They keep switching back between his eyes and his lips behind the flame. He doesn't give me long to watch—eventually, he sucks in a breath and blows. The small fire dies.

"It'll be a great game, ice baby. I'll see you later." He says and pushes back into the locker room. The door falls close behind him, and he disappears from my vision.