Chapter 11- Tears and Reality

A few minutes before...

'Guys, we should leave. ' Howard whispered to his friends.

'What?' Leonard scrunched up his forehead.

'Give them their moment. I'm pretty sure he's actually kind of into her, even though he claims he's asexual. ' Howard grinned.

'Hello? He's with Amy. ' Bernadette piped up.

'Sorry Amy... but I don't know, I just feel like both of them have a thing going on...'

'There's no thing, ' Leonard said too sharply, betraying his emotions.

'Ok then. If there's nothing, let's just stay out of their way and see how long it takes for them to realise we're gone.' Howard said lightly.

'Ugh, this is ridiculous.' Leonard hissed as they walked out into the corridor. 'You wanna know why Sheldon seems like he's into her? It's because he's my wingman.' He announced boldly.

'And they have some bet going on, which is why they're always together. I mean, most of the time. ' Amy added.

'Actually, I think Howie's right this time, ' Bernadette piped up in her cute high-pitched voice. 'Penny has always been dating bad boys and ending up being heartbroken... this is the first time she's hanging out voluntarily with a ner- I mean, someone who's intelligent and decent to her.'

'Whatever, they're going to start wondering where the heck we've been when they realise how big a mistake this whole game was.' Leonard started to open the door. He felt a body ram against it from the other side and fell back onto the ground in surprise.

'Hey, what's up? ' Amy raised an eyebrow.

'We... uh, we're done with our dare.' Penny looked frazzled.

'Great, let's get back in.' Leonard shot a i-told-you-so glare at his friends.

'Wait, Penny. ' Bernadette, being naturally more sensitive, pulled her friend aside. 'Tell me what happened. '

'Nothing. ' Penny's eyes darted to her own apartment door opposite. 'Look, I think I better get home and-'

'Penny. ' Bernadette folded her send across her chest and fixed her down with a steely stare.

'Sheldon said something... ' Penny said quietly. 'He told me... he told me he ll- ll -'

'He told you he loved you.' Bernadette finally said it, more of a statement than a question.

Penny nodded mutely.

'Penny... I know this is hard to accept. And I'm not asking you to say yes to him right away. But I really think he deserves a chance. He's... different. In a good way.'

'Yeah... I need some time.' Penny looked up at her friend. She was like a fragile pixie, with her blond curls framing her ruddy cheeks and wide eyes. 'It's just...nobody has really said it to me before. '

'And I bet, Sheldon hasen't too. ' Bernadette hugged her friend fiercely. 'Go home and rest... I'll tell them you aren't feeling so good. Stay strong ok? '

'I will. Thanks.' Penny mustered a shaky smile and pushed the door open into her own apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'I think it might be the best to stop seeing each other so frequently now. ' Sheldon said.

'What's wrong? ' Amy stopped in her tracks. The pair were in the comic book store, where Sheldon was picking out a new comic. But he was unusually quiet and his sudden remark made Amy feel really taken aback.

'It's nothing to do with you, Amy. You are an amazing girlfriend... you put all the other girls with a boyfriend out there to shame. ' Sheldon said honestly. 'You're superior in terms of intelligence and to me in terms of social skills. You're not as unattractive as you make yourself out to be. You have all the positive traits of an empathetic human being.'

'It's Penny, isn't it.' Amy said quietly.

'I admit I am absolutely befuddled.' Sheldon said. 'I get along so well with you, yet my hormones and emotions are just not in sync with what my head knows is best for me. Amy, I do want to like you.'

Amy smiled sadly and let a tear roll down her cheek. 'But you don't. '

'Amy Farrah Fowler... you're the best girlfriend I ever had.' Sheldon said, his blue eyes genuine and serious at the same time.

'And you too, Sheldon Cooper. The best boyfriend I ever...ever had. '

Amy landed a final kiss on his lips before pushing the door to exit the store, her trembling fingers struggling to type on the small keyboard of her phone.

It's over. And it's official.

Sent.

A/n: ok maybe this isn't the best chapter... but I'm trying to come up with better ideas so please bear with me. I welcome any kind of feedback and suggestions ^^ sigh, I felt sad for Amy even as I wrote this. I know the change in Sheldon's emotions are pretty abrupt, but I don't want to drag this story too much, so I hope you understand. Thanks for reading x)