Chapter 43: Cause of death: acting too much

Liu Cunhao and the others happily submitted the speech for announcement. On the way back, they yelled to He Zhao across the track. "Zhao-ge, do your best! We have a surprise for you!"

Not many people had signed up for the long distance event. There were only one or two from each class, and all of them had been forced to join. No one really wanted to run that many laps. For the shorter-distance events, they could sprint and show off, but for the 3000m event, all they could show off was how to pant heavily and suffer a fate worse than death.

He Zhao stood at the back of the line, the most eye-catching of the lot.

Hearing someone call his name, He Zhao turned around and made a 'No problem' handsign, then raised his voice. "Friend, tell me the secret?"

"Very secret." Wan Da wagged a finger. "At that time, you'll know."

Luo Wenqiang followed up, "Don't forget! You're carrying Yu-ge's spirit, too!"

He Zhao stood in place. He watchedenthusiastic, energetic classmates returning to their assigned seats, then looked away from them, his gaze landing on someone in the last row.

Xie Yu was looking down at his phone, refreshing his social media feed. He tapped 'like' a few times, which Dalei immediately screenshotted and sent to the 'Don't fight' group, along with the caption, Missing person @xy, good to see you.

Only now did Xie Yu discover he hadn't posted a status update in a long time.

He wasn't in the habit of recording his life, but now there were all sorts of background noises making a ruckus all around him. Each class cheered on their representatives, some screaming, some consoling: "It's all right. You already did very well. The important part is participating..."

Xie Yu opened his camera app, about to take a picture for participation's sake, but when he raised his camera and adjusted the angle, he discovered in the frame a certain handsome devil, surname He, first name Zhao. "......"

The handsome devil was exaggerating his movements and his expression. He faced the camera, right hand tugging at his collar and a smile on his lips, very obviously posing for the camera, both confident and cool.

He was clearly an old hand at posing.

Xie Yu's finger slipped and he nearly closed out of the app.

What a madman.

So many tricks up his sleeve.

...Who the hell wants to take your picture?

Xie Yu resisted the impulse to throw his phone, but seeing He Zhao hold his pose for half a minute without moving—that endurance was impressive—he hit the camera button after all.

Terrified that He Zhao would get hooked on having his picture taken and pose several more times, Xie Yu stuffed his phone back in his pocket the moment he finished.

After a while, when He Zhao was getting in line on the track, Xie Yu took his phone out again and unlocked it. On the screen was the photograph from before.

With the light shining at their backs, the human subjects were slightly cast in shadow, but the youth in the center was still radiant and striking.

"Men's 3000m, prepare—"

A gunshot heralded the beginning of the 3000m event.

The dozen or so participants had their toes on the white line, and at the sound of the gun, they dashed forth.

"I'm not worried about everyone else, but in the class next door there's a guy with damn good stamina. He represented the school before. That one, number five." Luo Wenqiang stuck his head out and looked around, seeming a little worried. "...Why is Zhao-ge running so quickly at the start? Pace yourself."