Chapter 101: Old Xie, run

Class was about to start and the noise in the corridor gradually quieted.

Wu Zheng sat by the podium, eyes fixed unblinkingly on the two special 'exam takers.'

There were only three people total in the classroom so it looked empty. One of them finished answering the questions, tossed his pen, then lay down on the table to sleep. From where Wu Zheng sat, he could only see the back of his head.

Another one of them had too much free time and nothing to do, and was doodling on scratch paper with pen in hand.

Before Xie Yu lay down, only one thought remained in his head: half an hour is still a little too long.

He had not napped for very long before he faintly felt an intense gaze on him. It made him feel uneasy, so he opened his eyes again and met his boyfriend's unconcealed, assessing gaze. "......"

"What are you two doing? If you're done with the exam, turn it in."

Wu Zheng glanced at his wristwatch. Generously speaking, the two of them had been taking this math paper for about twenty minutes. He knew they were close deskmates but they were even making eyes at each other in front of him.

Wu Zheng really didn't know what to say to them. Over the last two days he had taken many emotional blows and now he really couldn't take it any more. "Turn it in, turn it in. Turn it in and then hurry back to class."

From start to finish, the word 'cheating' had not crossed Wu Zheng's mind. Instead, Wu Zheng was thinking more along the lines of 'did these two go out together for a walk over winter vacation and get struck by lightning... so hard it broke their brains.'

Not even cheating could explain these grades.

The elaborate way He Zhao had answered the questions—which cheating student would make so much trouble for themselves? And where would they find answer keys like that?

"Hold on."

Xie Yu had just taken two steps when he heard Wu Zheng calling them again.

Wu Zheng cleared his throat and asked, "Did you two go out over winter vacation for any events?"

He Zhao had no idea what he meant by this and answered, "Yes. We went to karaoke?"

Wu Zheng really wanted to ask how the weather had been that day, if there had been a thunderstorm, and, most importantly, if lightning had struck both of them. He steadied himself, then swallowed all his nonsensical questions one by one and waved a hand dismissively. "That's all. Hurry up and go."

Literature, math, English, and combined science. They took exams all morning.

They had been told it was a new exam, but each paper was just ten major questions. None of them were ordinary questions, however. The difficulty was comparable to those of the top tier schools.

When Xie Yu turned in his paper, the questions from each subject test were still rattling around in his mind.

He was still thinking about them when someone abruptly shoved a piece of paper into his hand. "What is this?"

Outside the classroom, the midday sun shone hotly on them. He Zhao unzipped his jacket and said, "A master is giving this gift to you. A masterpiece."

Xie Yu straightened the sheet of scratch paper in his hand. Aside from a messy set of calculations, there was also an abstract-style line drawing.

The lines were messy, and it was only faintly recognizable as a human figure. If not for Xie Yu remembering that this guy had been staring at him the entire time they were retaking the exams, he would have no way of telling who the subject of the drawing was.