Chapter 5: Shade Messorem

Third-Person POV:

A woman with black hair, as dark as the sky in the depth of the night, held her child with disapproval in her eyes. This woman was known as Umbra Messorem. She was more commonly known as Buqeat Shamsia. That was the name that Ra's Al Ghul gave her. It meant Sunspot in Arabic. It wasn't the most threatening name, she knew. But it suited her quite well. It represented that she was a dark patch in numerous lives, as she was well-known for ruining them.

Umbra had no desire for children. She despised them, with everything in her. However, when she received the assignment from Ra's, she knew that she had to comply. Otherwise, she would be considered a traitor to the League of Assassins, and be murdered for treason.

What was this assignment, exactly? Well, Umbra was ordered to get pregnant. That sounds pretty messed up, but Ra's wanted to make sure that the blood of great warriors could get carried on.

Umbra went to Starling City, as it was where she grew up. She slept with none other than the billionaire Oliver Queen. He didn't even remember by morning, which is why he was a good option.

After she gave birth, Ra's told Umbra to live on Lian Yu temporarily. It was where her child's training would begin. The child required the skills needed to survive, and what better place to train her than a treacherous island? She would have to learn how to hunt, how to clean her own wounds, and how to be resilient to pain. However, the only way to be resilient to pain is to feel it.

Umbra gazed intently at the infant in her arms. She was disgusted by it. She knew that she had no choice but to train it, no matter how much she wanted to drown it in the ocean.

The infant began crying, as she felt intimidated under her mother's gaze.

"Shut up. Or I'll make you shut up." Umbra growled, setting the infant down onto the dirt.

Usually, Umbra held a lot of patience... but children were a different story. She knew that it couldn't hunt at this age, it would have to know how to walk first.

She hadn't even named the thing yet. She deemed it unworthy of a name.

Three years later, the child knew how to steadily walk and clearly talk. She was pretty smart for her age, but not smart enough for Umbra's satisfaction.

Umbra decided that it was time for her child to hunt for the first time. She was tired of doing everything for the little brat.

The child was quite confused, she couldn't figure out why her mother didn't give her any breakfast yet.

"Mother, what's for breakfast?" The child asked in English.

It was the only language she knew, although her mother expected her to know more by now.

"That's your decision." Umbra replied, handing the child a spear.

It was made out of a thick, but light tree branch, with a jagged rock tied to the end of it.

The child grabbed the spear, with a confused expression on her face.

"What's this for, mother?" The little girl asked.

"I'm sure you can figure it out." Umbra replied coldly.

Umbra pushed her daughter out of the cave that they were currently living in, making the child fall flat on her face.

"Go. And don't come back until you've got something to eat." Umbra instructed.