Chapter 10

September 3, 1991

As Professor Snape strode down the hallway, Harry followed at a jog to keep up. Professor McGonagall had gone back to her own office with Charles.

It was McGonagall who had seen Harry's dive. She had also seen Charles's stunt, which made her put him in detention and 50 points off for not following instructions and endangering a student's life. Although that gave Harry some satisfaction, it did not serve to make him more confident with the current situation he was in.

He really did not want to know exactly how angry his godfather was at that moment.

They reached his office and Professor Snape closed the door before sitting down, gesturing stiffly for Harry to do the same. Hesitantly, Harry sat down in the other chair. He wouldn't meet Severus's eyes. He knew the only thing he would probably find there would be anger.

Severus, for his part, looked at his godson. What in Merlin's name face Harry the idea to follow the other twin in the air? It was foolhardy, stupid and, most of all, extremely dangerous. He could have broken a bone or two had he fallen, or he could have even—

He abruptly cut off that line off thought. He looked at Harry again and saw that he was extremely nervous. Harry wouldn't meet his eyes and he was fiddling with his sleeve. Severus wondered why he went after the other Potter twin.

"Harry," he said gently, "look at me."

Slowly, his godson brought his head up and met Severus's eyes.

Harry was surprised, to say the least. He didn't see any trace of anger in Severus's eyes. Just a questioning look. Nothing more.

"Tell me, Harry, why in Salazar's name did you go after him in the air? You could have fallen and easily broken something."

"He had Neville's Remembrall. It obviously meant something to him since he's been carrying it around with him everywhere. Weasley and Charles were planning on placing it somewhere he wouldn't be able to find it. I didn't want that happening, so, at first, I asked him to give it to me. Then he just went into the air," Harry explained quietly, looking down again.

Severus was quite shocked. It wasn't just some stupid idea, he was defending someone. And a Gryffindor no less, he thought. He knew that if he asked any of the other Slytherins, he would get much the same story. He thought back to his past friendship with Lily. He wondered if Harry would have more than one Gryffindor friend.

He got a small idea in his head. It all depended on whether harry was interested or not. Speaking of Harry...

He came back to the present and saw that Harry was fiddling with his sleeve once more. He realised he had been quiet for some time.

"Harry, I'm not mad. Nor am I disappointed in any way. But you need to remember that the stunt you pulled could very well have landed you in St Mungo's," Severus decided he would go slowly.

Harry's head snapped up in astonishment.

"You're not disappointed in me?"

Severus regarded him for a moment. He felt that there was something... odd about that question. Then it clicked.

"You were more worried about me being disappointed than the fact that you could have been severely injured?!"

Harry blinked, then smiled sheepishly.

"Guilty as charged?"

Severus shook his head. His godson really needed to get his priorities straight.

"I will not give you detention for the stunt you pulled. But I would like to ask you something."

Harry cocked his head in interest. Severus briefly reflected that it made him look like he was five. Quite an adorable picture that was painted.