Chapter 6

Hi people! Sorry for the wait, I couldn't find my book anywhere. Hope you enjoy this chapter!
---------------------------------------------------------
September 1, 1991

The Great Hall was named as such for a reason, Harry decided. It was large and sprawling with four long tables that had a number of students seated at them. Then there was another fifth long table that was obviously for the teachers and staff. He noticed, with no small amount of annoyance, that Dumbledore was at the centre of the table in a chair that dominated the scene. Made out of gold, a large eagle, or griffin, was carved onto it. All things considered, Harry thought that it was highly unnecessary and that the Hall would be better off without the infernal thing.

The next thing he noticed was the ceiling. It reflected the sky outside with candles galore floating in it. He heard a voice to his left and behind him saying, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History," to anyone who would listen. Please shut up, Harry silently prayed. He looked to his right and saw that Draco had a vaguely irritated look on his face, which Harry took as an indication that his train of thought was similar to that of Harry's.

They stopped in front of some steps. At the top of them sat a stool with an extremely old hat. It looked as though it should be replaced, and fast. Harry waited for its perfunctory singing, although none of the other first years knew that it would. It was clear by the looks on Draco, Charles and everyone else. It's front ripped open to show a face with eyes and a mouth, and then it started singing in a voice that, in Harry's opinion, was terrible. He fought down the urge to cover his ears.

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart.

You might belong in Hufflepuff
Where they are just an loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil.

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of with and learning
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends.
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!

Everyone in the Hall applauded. When they finished, McGonagall started to call out names.

"Abott, Hannah!"

A girl with her red hair in pigtails approached nervously. She sat on the stool and McGonagall placed the hat on her head. A few seconds later, the hat yelled,

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"You knew about how this would go, didn't you?" Draco said, turning to Harry, his voice taking in an accusatory tone. Harry smiled.