Chapter 52: OWL season

Comincia dall'inizio

In fact, it became impeccably clear within a matter of days that Draco Malfoy no longer seemed to find reason to worry about what I was up to, whether I was looking at him or even talking about him.

He never turned to look at me anymore, or at least I never felt that grey stare of his.

Odd as it was, I quickly realized how much I liked being stared at by him. Whether it was for attentive reasons or far worse.

I had suddenly become ordinary to him. Like I was just another Slytherin in the common room, and that was all.

What became of an it-girl without the attention she needs to be it?

"My mind just kept going through random potions ingredients all night," I said at last. "It wasn't exactly restful sleep." Sam gave me an understanding look before beheading the chocolate frog in one bite.

"I hate study-nightmares," Sam emphasized with a sigh. She popped the rest of the frog in her mouth and chewed furiously before adding, "but just think, after this, you'll only have two more exams and then summer!"

"And no Umbridge," I concluded with a sigh that did little to release the growing knot between my shoulders. Sam's eyes glittered at the reminder.

"That's right. You know, I heard Umbridge has been having a real headache thanks to the Hogwarts board recently. All thanks to your mum I suppose."

This was old news but still a subject far better than Draco at the moment.

"Ah yes," I commented, laying back on my bed. "Maybe if we're lucky my mother will dethrone the bitch before graduation. I know Theo want's nothing to do with her leading his graduation."

"I could give a rat's arse what your brother thinks," Sam mentioned darkly before bolting up with another curse.

"It's 8:50! Merlin, Ava let's go."

"Transfiguration isn't until 10," relax," I said, unmoving. My thoughts were still on Sam's last comment. In reality, my brother was also not too happy with life and Umbridge was just a part of it. I figured it had something to do with the Weasley twins up and leaving him for their own freedom.

If I knew my brother any better, I'd think he wished he left with them.

"That's when class usually starts," Sam explained, "but we're in finals season now and the exam is at 9. So MOVE."

I shot out of bed like my life depended on it and rushed to grab my bag off my dresser.

"Your cloak, grab your cloak," Sam ordered, already at the door watching me frail around the room. I turned unfortunately to my laundry bin where the peak of my jam-stained cloak lay crushed at the bottom half of the bin.

Sam released a string of curses before drawing her wand and stating in a less than pleasant voice "Accio Ava's misplaced cloak."

I was mortified at how simple of a fix that was. Especially when said cloak came flying out from under my bed with a snag of dust bunnies following with it.

"Brush them off when we're there. Who care's how your ruddy cloak looks?"

We were dashing down the stairs when I passed the empty fireplaces and common room. A sure sign that we were in fact very late on the uptake of events for the day.

"Sorry if I take a decent concern for my physical welfare!" I snapped back at Sam's heals as she slammed the portal door open, to the great surprise of some first year Slytherins waiting just outside the door.

"Awesome!" one of the kids echoed as we took the stairs two at a time. We were out of breath by the time we had reached the transfiguration room and Professor McGonagall gave us very degrading stares as she waited with the exams in her hand as the two of us took our seats.