25. Protect And Attack

Alyxzander

***

"Alpha," I heard a girl's voice.

Instantly knowing who it is, I turned around and looked to see Alyssa approaching me. We haven't spoken to each other one on one in 4 months. We only been around eachother during pack meetings and the fight.

"Are they coming to the party?" She asked, looking around to see if anyone was paying attention.

I frowned, "They are more than welcome in many ways than one," looking away from her I looked to Alaric and Julissa. We were in my backyard with the others decorating, no one giving a second thought to our conversation. They were hanging the Japanese lanterns up on the strings attached to the poles Jaxon installed. Julissa suggested them, her being of Japanese descent she was able to explain the meaning behind them.

Families coming together. It's perfect for my pack. The vampires are family now, we've been through a lot and whoever's related to Baze is family to me given she's my mate. "They helped us in more ways than one," I finished with a smile on my face.

Alyssa's face was blank, her eyes held some emotion I couldn't read, but her words were clear. In a low voice, she said, "Their kind shouldn't mix with ours and that hybrid..."

My blood began to boil, "Don't you dare."

"Hey, where should we put the round tables?" Maggi interrupted.

Quickly changing my tone, I asked, "Any suggestions?"

"Try putting them on the sides, maybe?" Alyssa grinned at Maggi, "In case we want to dance, you know?"

"Good thinking, Lyss."

After Maggi turned away to join and tell those who were putting the tables out to do so, I purposely paid her no mind.

She didn't take the hint and continued to say, "I don't trust them."

"So does that mean you don't trust me?" I had a say in whether they associate with us or not. I trusted Sebastian, Veronica and even Cole. All of them. If she didn't trust my judgement it's a complete insult, it's insinuating that she didn't trust my position as Alpha.

"I do, it's just..."

"They are welcomed and aren't a threat. End of discussion."

Alyssa stared at me with a sad expression and looked down at the ground.

Closing my eyes I took a deep breath and looked up to the window of the library. From outside I could see Baze up there looking through the window. She was smiling at the decoration with admiration in her beautiful amber eyes.

Just seeing her face lifted my mood almost instantly. She's been looking more radiant lately, it's something Roxy had brought to my attention.

"I'm sorry," I shouldn't have lost my temper.

She looked at me and whispered, "I miss you."

"We can't do this. Not here, not now. Not ever," I was getting uncomfortable and looked back up at the library window. Even though Shifters run faster than vampires, I know a vampire's senses are a thousand times stronger than ours. Baze being half made me nervous about her seeing Alyssa and I talking, hearing what she just said.