18. Carton vs Bag

Baze

***

The option to turn Allie was floating around in my mind. I know it would be selfish to take her human life away, but it would be devastating if it was taken away like it was in my vision.

"Are you sure she died from her wound?" Sebastian asked me before we parted ways. "Maybe, she survived."

"If you saw what I saw..."

Alyx didn't let me out of his sight after the vision in fear that I'll have another one that could trigger the same reaction as yesterday. No one questioned my freak out and seemed to understand why I reacted that way given I wasn't brought up in this light like they were.

"Where are the hunters?" I asked in what I hope was nonchalant. "They are usually present, no?"

Alyx was texting on his phone with a furrow on his brow when he looked up at me, "Funny you ask that, I am texting Troy right now. They are on their way."

"How far?"

"Washington, I believe," He answered without suspicion.

I leaned forward and boldly asked, "Do we really need the hunters present? They are human and--"

"More professional when it comes to taking Lycans down than we are and are excellent in helping the fighters train."

"I understand that, but we already have vampires, the pack and..." I hesitantly mumbled, "Me."

He eyed me silently, lightly tapping his phone on his desk in thought.

"I just don't want to see anyone who can't heal like you guys can get hurt."

"What did you see in your vision besides a church?"

My eyes widened, "What?"

Alyx stood up and crossed his arms. He stayed silent as if he wanted me to think about his question rather than repeat it.

I ran a hand through my hair, "We lost a lot of people in my first week here, can we really afford--" I paused to take a deep breath. I didn't want to cry, I was already interrogated enough yesterday. "They are human. I was once human and barely made it out alive--No, as a matter of fact I died! You guys just didn't tell me."

"Baze, I understand your concern." Alyx looked away from me, "I can't just exclude them without a real reason. They are literally hunters and Lycans are their prey. It would be silly for me not to allow them to help when Jaxon killed their previous leader."

"Do you feel like you owe them to help us?"

"No, it would just mean that Octavio died for no reason. They came to help us and their leader got killed. Troy promised to keep how he died from their higher powers to protect us."

"Us excluding them will protect them."

He stared at me speechless then rubbed his face, "Where is all of this coming from?"

"It's coming from a good place," I stood up from the couch.

Instead of responding, his eyes dropped down and I followed to see what he was looking at.