009: Miss Stacy

A knock at the Milrowe house was heard early in the morning by the only resident occupying it, Xavier Milrowe. He walked down the stairs and opened the door to be greeted by the postman, holding a letter in his hand.

"Thank you." Xavier said to the man, giving him a kind smile and shutting the door.

Groggily, he opened the letter and saw that it was from his mother and father. Sighing, he read it carefully expecting what it usually says. Once again, it's a letter saying how they would not be home quite yet, it would be another four to six months until they were able to make it; something about work not going as planned.

Xavier's eyes start to water. He pulls out a piece of paper and a pen and started to draft a letter back to his parents, saying how they might as well not come at all. Soon after, he closed the newly written parchment and remembered to deliver it to the post office after school.

_____________

"And mother was talking to Mrs. Pye and she said the PMSC felt that Miss Stacy is probably unsuitable." Diana told the two teens as they approached the schoolhouse.

"But she rides a motorbike!" Anne exclaimed. "Miss Stacy seems modern and thrilling."

"I heard she's a spinster." Tillie told.

"I heard she's from the mainland." Ruby added.

"Why would an unmarried women from the big city come here?" Josie asked. "There's a scandal somewhere, you'll see."

"She is such a priss." Xavier groaned to Anne.

"I know, but we must be nice in the presence of the marvelous Miss Stacy." Anne said, dreamily.

'It sounds like she's in love with her.' Xavier rolled his eyes, before widening them. 'Please don't let this turn into Mr. Philips and Prissy 2.0.'

"She may as well have hung a noose around her neck." Prissy said, as Xavier walked into the classroom.

"I may as well hang a noose around your neck if you don't shut up." He said, sitting in the seat he used to be in with Cole.

"Don't disparage her when you don't even know her." Anne told Prissy. "I think she sounds spectacular. I'm going to help-"

At this point Xavier had tuned out Anne, not in the right mood to be listening to the rants he oh-so loved on every other day. His mind was wandering off to Cole and what he was doing at the moment and maybe, just maybe, he had changed his mind about school and would walk through the door.

But, to no avail, as the only person who walked through the door was a woman. A young woman who looked to be very exciting, sophisticated, and stern on every other day. Though, at this moment all she looked like was unorganized.

"I just laid the world at your feet, didn't I?" Miss Stacy said to Billy, referencing the world globe that had rolled over to him.

This snapped Xavier out of his daydream and he looked up at Billy, now noticing the very long gun that was hung over his shoulder and rested on his back.

"Good morning, everyone." Miss Stacy exclaimed.

"Good morning." The class replied.

Billy picked up the globe and placed it back into the bag that it fell out of, trying to be flirtatious while doing so.

"Here you go, little lady." Billy said to her.