Chapter 24

*(A/N: Special update. I hope you enjoy it!)*

Tws- Death, fighting etc nothing graphic.

POV: Zayn

"I told you it could work..", Avantika says when Zayn explains his idea.

"Yeah.. but this is a bit more detailed. We're telling them I can't handle the stress and that the kingdom is suffering for it. We can also sell it further by saying that instead of just up and leaving I'm going to make my cousin the king, about him being more capable than me...", He explains.

"Yeah...that would work...but suggest it to Ali. If he sees a flaw in the plan...Liam shouldn't suffer for it..", Avantika says.

Zayn knows that. He's praying every minute that this would be enough. He'll die himself if something happens to Liam. Even if he remains alive, that would be like living without a soul. 

"I'll go talk to Ali..", he says standing up.

He walks very slowly trying to gather his thoughts. He reminds himself to be civil to Ali, Liam's life is at stake. He wants to bash that traitor's head into a wall but he can't. He takes a deep breath before knocking on the door.

"King! What brings you here?", Ali asks.

"Can we talk in private?", He asks.

"Why not...", He moves to let Zayn in to the room.

"So...uhm I could tell them that I'm stressed out, my mother will support me about it and I'll also say that you're more fit to be king...if it's not good enough I know I can do better.... don't hurt Liam..I can come up with something else..", he says going straight to the point.

"Sorry? What are you talking about? Who's Liam?", Ali asked looking confused. 

"The letter...you said.. you'd hurt.. you wanted me to forfeit!", Zayn accuses. He feels disoriented, it can't be anyone but Ali. He was so sure it was Ali.

"King! I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't send you any letters or ask you to forfeit! Infact I'm leaving today, so why would I leave if I want to be king so bad?", He says.

Zayn looks around and sees his belongings packed. All he can think is NO. It has to be him.

"But..it was you..", he says softly.

"No, it wasn't! But I do have an idea who it could be. Someone who has a record of stabbing people in the back...", He says.

"I don't..who?", Zayn asks utterly confused.

"See, this is precisely why I said you're unfit for the throne. You are too trusting. Think Zayn! Who could it be!", He asks.

Zayn shakes his head, tears threatening to fall. He can't be that much of a fool. Just no.

"Who could it be?", Ali prompts again. 

"Farhaan..", he whispers.

And then he remembers, how Farhaan had always seemed too friendly. Ali had even warned him for it, but he'd been too stupid to realise. Too trusting. And just recently, Farhaan was near his room, just moments before he got the second letter. And how he knew it wasn't like Ali to not see things through. 

Zayn's shaking. He clenches his fist. 

"I even warned you, Zayn.", Ali says.

"I don't..... will you help me?", He asks.

"I would like to..but Farhaan and I..the reason we...he killed the woman I loved..stabbed me in the back when I considered him a brother...and as much as I would like to get back at him, he's cunning, one can't get out unscarred from fighting him..and don't you think I have enough scars already?", Ali says pointing at his blemished face.

"I understand..", Zayn says. 

"No..but you have other people with you, Zayn. Your family willing to help you..I had no one. Perhaps your victory over could be my revenge.", He says a small, sad smile on his face.

"Hmm..", he replies.

"I must leave now, Zayn. But I hope you don't have to go through what I did. Be careful..I know I'm not an ideal brother. If I was one I'd have helped you. But I'm scared and tired. And there's a woman waiting for me back home. I lost one and I simply can't lose another.", He says patting Zayn on the shoulder.

Zayn sees it in his eyes, grief pain and weariness. He looks a lot less intimidating. He looks tired like someone who lost their biggest battle. 

Zayn curses himself for being idiotic, for being fooled by Ali's cold attitude. He judged a book by it's cover and now he's paying for it. He should have known who to trust and who not to.

"Bye..", Ali says.

"Bye..", He says back. 

He looks at the sad droop of Ali's shoulders and feels a bit of his spirit die. If Ali lost then Zayn won't win. 

_______________________________

POV: Liam 

Liam hasn't heard from Zayn since that one letter. He's extremely worried. Harry and Avantika have been exchanging letters so he calms himself thinking if something bad happened she would let him know. 

He wants to meet Zayn. He doesn't care anymore. Most of his day is spent thinking about Zayn, pressing his finger to the stone locket on his neck. He feels like crying, it's not fair. He always thought they had time. He promised Zayn they had time. They need more time. It can't be over.

________________________________

*(A/N: Hello again!

Did you expect it to be Farhaan?

Now what do you think about Ali.

Also Liam's so sad.. fair warning it gets way worse.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'll put up more soon.

Thanks for reading, please vote and comment!)*