"The industry is ruthless, baby," He replied. "All this time he pretended like he thought Whitney wasn't good enough to sign but he was just waiting for the opportunity to take all the credit. He's never let me have a taste of success if he has anything to do with it,"

Althea reached over and placed a comforting hand on his knee.

"I'm sorry, Michael. That brother of yours is such a bastard. They'll be other talents," She replied.

Her husband sighed, his Bambi eyes falling to the glossy floors of the store.

"I know, Thea but I was so sure of this. I-I wanted you to be proud of me," Michael spoke softly.

Althea had never seen her husband so dejected and it crushed her spirit. Michael was far too much of an amazing husband to ever make anyone like Jermaine make him feel inferior.

She stood up from her chair and planted herself in his lap, caressing his chin in her palm as she stared into his brown eyes.

"Honey, I am proud of you. If you never make a successful music deal you'll still be the most wonderful man in the world to me. I mean, the way you've stood up for me during all this madness with your family- I couldn't have asked for a better husband,"

His lips curved up into a small smile.

"You mean it, baby?" Michael asked.

His wife grinned.

"Of course,"

Althea leaned in and pressed her lips to his, kissing him deeply and Michael found himself lost in the sweet taste of her mouth. It was only when a sales associate cleared their throat that the couple realized they'd gotten too carried away.

"I think we should go with the peach," Althea spoke sheepishly as she slid off her husband's lap. "And maybe one of these chairs,"

The blonde saleswoman placed her hands on her hips and judgmentally stared at the newlyweds.

"Perhaps you'd like to take a look at our bed selections?"

Michael smirked as he wrapped an arm around his wife as she giggled.

"Why not?"

A few hours and several thousand dollars later, Althea and Michael had brand new furniture waiting to be delivered to their new home. That was the easy part. The hardest part had yet to come- the hardest part is breaking the news around Hayvenhurst.

Althea and Michael could move in any day now if they wished but had yet to inform Kathrine and Joseph of their intentions to leave the family home.

"So, what comes next? Althea asked, checking her hair in the mirror as Michael settled into the driver's seat.

"Well, baby," Michael replied as he started the engine. "The furniture should be delivered all assembled by Thursday and-"

His wife placed a hand on his knee.

"No honey, I mean, when do we break the news," she replied. "We are practically all moved in,"

Michael glanced at his wife, a small smile settling on his lips. He knew that the announcement would probably be harder for Althea than himself but he was ready to finally cut the cord and start a new life with the woman he loved.

"I'm ready if you are,"

Althea grinned as she reached for his hand.

"I'm ready,"

****

Althea did not step foot back into Hayvenhurst until her arms were practically overflowing with shopping bags. When she wobbled through the kitchen door, Opal could hardly believe her eyes.