Curiosity Killed The Rabbit

"Baby, get up,"

Althea withered between the sheets as Michael peppered soft, gentle kisses along her neck. The duvet was warm and she kept her eyes sealed shut, hoping to savor a few more minutes of sleep.

"Baaaby,"

Her husband nipped at her earlobe before she turned on her side with a sigh of surrender.

"What, Michael?" Althea croaked as she blinked the sleep out of her eyes.

The red digits of their alarm clock read seven-fifteen and while Althea usually woke up not too long after, she couldn't quite figure out why her husband was so eager to wake her up.

Michael smiled as he brushed some hair from his wife's face.

"Get up, get dressed, and meet me downstairs. I've got a surprise for you,"

The promise of a surprise managed to rouse Althea from her sleep, and she did as her husband instructed, putting on very little makeup before heading downstairs.

She could smell the sausage cooking in the kitchen and Kathrine and Joseph sat outside on the patio with a cup of coffee and the newspaper, waiting for the rest of the family to come down for breakfast.

Michael stood by the front door, dressed in jeans and a cardigan with a mischievous grin on his lips.

"This better be a very good surprise, Michael," she chided. "I could have used those extra few minutes of sleep, ya know,"

Michael chuckled.

"You're gonna love it. C'mon,"

He pulled open one of the mahogany doors, letting his wife out first before he grabbed hold of her hand and led her towards the garage. Any curiosity Althea had melted away at the sight of the shiny, red Rolls Royce convertible parked right in front of the garage.

"Ta-da!" Michael announced.

Althea could hardly believe her eyes and her mouth grew dry and absent of words.

"This- this is mine?" She stammered, her brown eyes wide with surprise.

Her husband nodded.

"All yours, baby," Michael grinned as he stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I figured there's no reason to be waiting at home for me all day. Now you can go wherever your pretty little heart desires,"

Althea ran her hands through her hair in disbelief. She was still used to seeing luxury vehicles come and go through Hayvenhurst. She could hardly fathom the idea of having her own.

"But, Michael, this must have cost a fortune-"

He held up a hand to silence her.

"Don't you dare. You're worth every single penny,"

Althea grinned so widely she was sure her cheeks would burst from excitement.

"It's beautiful, Michael! I love it! I love you!"

She leaped into his waiting arms and kissed him deeply and Michael figured he'd buy Althea a Rolls Royce in every shade of the rainbow if it'd guarantee she'd kiss him like that every day for the rest of their lives.

"What is all this racket?" Joseph yelled as he and Kathrine rushed in the direction of the noise.

Kathrine let out a sigh of relief when she noticed her son canoodling with his wife.

"It's nothing, Joe," She smiled. "Just love birds doing what love birds do,"

Even when they'd pulled apart the love birds hardly noticed the watching elders.