"Ran," she breathes.

"it's been a while, Hikari," he whispers softly against her ear, "you look so pretty."

she let out a nervous breath as she took the time to look at the three. she hated everyone but them. them and her brother—that's about it, the people worth living for.

"anything I need to know before I go in there?" she asks.

Hikari could feel Ran rub his thumb against the back of her hand, his eyes attentive in every little way her face reflected her jumbled nerves. she met his eyes, and all she could think of was that he was too calm. and so he seemed so reliable.

"give us a minute," he says as he pulls at her hand.

Rindou lets her go without any qualms as Ran took her a few feet away, hiding her from their view with his back to them.

"what is it?" she asks.

"we can leave."

"what?"

"you don't have to go through with this, it's fine if we just go home."

his voice was soft and consoling, like he was soothing a child. Hikari gave him a small smile at that.

"won't that get you in trouble?"

"I can handle it."

"you can't take on everything, Ran."

"you know I can, and I will. come on, I'll get you home—"

"Ran," she says, cutting him off, "it's alright. you don't have to worry so much."

he looked at her, searching her eyes for any sign that she'd give in. but he knows she won't, and he could only sigh as he slightly brushes his lips against her forehead. he just hated to see her so scared.

"just don't be so afraid, Hikari, feel free to do as you please. I'm right here, you won't get hurt."

she knew otherwise. that she wasn't free to do as she pleased. only Ran would ever say that. both of them make their way back to the rest, and it was Rin who opened the door.

Ran walked in with her in hand, and if he was worried before, none of it could be seen on his face now. he walked with ease, like his steps were light, and in contrast, Hikari felt heavy. the first thing she's laid eyes on upon entry was Sanzu's pink hair, then she met his eyes.

he was already looking at her. she must've showed her distaste on her face as Ran tugged slightly at her hand.

all the other executives were present as they sat on the couch. Rin and Koko moved to join them, but Ran took her to sit on a love seat. she does so self-consciously, briefly exchanging glances with Koko who looked as nervous as her.

Ran lets go of her hand as he sits on the arm of her chair, and she could only widen her eyes upon seeing that he's already withdrawn his gun.

"safety measure," he whispers with a small smile at her.

"would that be okay?" she asks.

she was worried about him too, there was no telling what Ran would do for her sake. it's why she's determined not to mess up or provoke anyone. Ran was the only one with a gun in hand for god's sake when nothing even happened yet.

"it's fine," he reassures her.

"Ran," she slightly chuckles nervously, "there won't actually be any use for guns now, would there?"

"don't worry," he smiled again.

"haha, you didn't answer my question."

"I said don't worry."