I awoke from my impromptu mid-afternoon nap to find Liam fast asleep, curled up on the two-seater with his hood pulled over his eyes, the bag of Doritos still in his lap. I frantically felt around in the couch cushions for my mobile, hoping not to let the opportunity to snap an embarrassing photo pass me by. I take the photo and immediately load it onto Twitter with the caption: Liam just finished lecturing me about tweeting too much. As the replies start flooding in, the Incoming Call screen pops up “Roxy”.  

Closing my bedroom door softly, I answer “’Ello, Roxanne. How was your meeting?”

“Hi Niall. That meeting was long, and I was hungry. So, it was extraordinarily long. I have a few minutes to grab something to eat, so I thought I might give you a ring. Busy day for you, too?”

“Oh yeah, we are right swamped over here. Liam and I just had a cuddle while watching some football.”

“Well, isn’t that special? A lucky guy, that Liam. Were you the big spoon, or the little spoon?” she asked.

“We traded off. I an equal opportunity kinda spooner. Ready for our date tonight, then?” I said hopefully. Even though I typically live for my days off doing nothing but sitting around in my underwear, playing guitar and eating, I am feeling a bit stir-crazy.  

“I was worried you might say that.” She sighed. “There is just no way I am going to be able to get out of here in time to have dinner with you tonight. Can I have a raincheck? Like a very very soon raincheck? Tomorrow night raincheck? Am I sounding desperate?” she said quickly.

“Bummerrrrr.” I whined into the mouthpiece. “I only give girls one strike, and there’s yours. So, it’s been nice chatting with you, Roxy, have a nice life.”

“You’re such a shit.” was her response.  

I laughed a little louder than I should have, considering papa bear could easily be woken. “Let me have my assistant get back with you in the morning with my next available appointments. Don’t worry Miss, we’ll squeeze ya in.” I said as I scrolled through the email that management had forwarded this morning, detailing the week’s events.

“Okay, you’re hard to read on the phone. I can’t quite tell if you’re joking. Do you seriously have an assistant?”

“No, but I just checked my calendar, and the next two nights are blocked off for book signings. How’s Thursday? And how’s Italian?”

Roxy’s POV

I’ve got fifteen minutes before my date with Niall, and I am on my hands and knees reaching under my bed looking for the left sandal to match the right one already strapped to my foot. It may have been a good idea to get my outfit squared away earlier, but work has been so hectic I haven’t had a second to breathe. It’s probably better that way, as otherwise I would have worked myself into even more of a frenzy over this date. It’s just a freaking date. I repeated that. It’s just a freaking date. I found the matching sandal and slipped it on, and checked myself again in the mirror. There was a knock at the door, and I gave my reflection a quick good luck and headed to greet Niall.

He looked gorgeous as ever, and he was standing in my apartment. He didn’t seem nervous, and I hoped I came off the same way.  “I made the reservation for seven, so we’ve got some time. I like your place, Roxy.” He said, looking around. He picked up a photo frame and asked “Who’s this?”

“That’s me and Penny, on the night we first met. We got this place together a week later.” I replied. “A whirlwind romance.”

“Well, I am starting to believe this Penny person doesn’t even exist. This is probably a photo of you and your cousin.” He teased.

“You think so, huh? I will text her to see when she’ll be back. Maybe the two of you will finally cross paths.” I fire off a message “Penny. Where are you? I am going on a date tonight and need you to meet this guy in case he is planning on slicing me into bits.” Her reply is almost instantaneous. “WHAT. A date?!?! I am off work in twenty. Can we meet up?” “Join us on the patio with some coffee when your shift ends. We’ll be waiting.” I typed back as I grabbed my bag. 

The café was only three blocks away, and within the first block, my nerves settled.  Niall walked somewhat sideways so that we could make eye contact as we caught up. My phone buzzed with a text from Penny: “Is it that guy from the club?” I looked a Niall with a devious smile. “Help me play a joke on Penny?” I asked. “Count me in.” he said.  

We took our seats in the far corner of the patio. Niall instinctively grabbed the chair with the least exposure to the street. “Here she comes.” I whisper as he pulls the menu up in front of his face. Penny approaches our table and sets down the coffee carafe and three mugs. I stand to give her a hug. This is not a typical thing I would have done, so she stiffened. As we embraced I whispered “Not sure about this one. Might need you to help me ditch.”  She nodded and glanced at the back of the menu, awaiting introduction.

“Penny,” I start. “I’d like you to meet my new friend, Nick.”

Niall stands, and extends his hand for a shake. “It’s Niall, actually.”

“Oh yeah, Niall, sorry.” I say with a small awkward laugh. Niall and I sit but Penny remains standing, staring at him, and the back at me. Niall’s gone back to his menu. “How was your shift today? Big money?” I ask casually.  She didn’t answer, but managed to sit in the chair next to me.

“Nick, dear. How do you take your coffee?” I ask Niall. He puts the menu down. “Two creams and a sugar, thanks.”  He sips the coffee quietly, as I attempt again to strike up a conversation with Penny. She simply glares at me, trying to send some telepathic message.  I notice that the people on the patio are beginning to stir, and I sense Niall growing nervous.

 “Well Nick, we had better be off to dinner now.” I say as I toss a fiver on the table.  Niall gets up and pulls out my chair, I rise as he puts his arm around my waist and says “Nice to have met ya, Penny.” He leans her way and says quietly “you may want to start spending a bit more time at home with this one. I think she may be getting lonely, gone a bit daft if ya know what I mean.” 

We walked away from the café arm in arm, giggling. “She has got to be dying.” I said as I took a quick glance back to find she’s still sitting there, staring at her cold cup of coffee.  “So, which way to the restaurant? Let’s get this date over with.” I said with a smile. “I am glad we’re doing this.” Was his simple reply. He flags down a car and we both scoot inside. “Mama  Provanzano’s on Chalton Street.” He says to the driver. I reach in my bag and hold down the power button on my phone. I’ve already got nine texts from Penny.