Part 18

Levi’s POV

While we were playing rock, paper, scissors, which I was totally winning, the lights went out. The ferris wheel, which although broken had its lights functioning, now turned off. No more were the luminous pink, blue, yellow, and purple lights. 

“What’s going on?” Zach asked as he looked around.

“I guess the lights went off.” I replied. 

“Yes. But why?” He pinched the bridge of his nose. I shrugged, although I’m not sure he could see me.

“But hey. Look on the bright side,” I chuckled at my pun. “At least now no one can see what we’re doing.” I smirked but the darkness made it less visible.

“LEVI! No.” He said.

The carriage for the ride began rocking back and forth. It was unexpected, and Zach quickly grabbed onto me. He tried not to fall off. He should know I would never let him go, let alone let him get hurt.

“I don’t think this is normal.” He said.

“Yeah, I wonder if the ride is breaking down.” I said.

“At least we’ll die together.” I said while hugging him closer.

Out of the blue, the lights for the ferris wheel turned on. And for the first time in a long time, the carriage started moving.

A myriad of applause resonated, cheering now that we were moving.

“HEY! We’re moving!” Zach said happily. 

“Finally. I was getting tired of you.” I sarcastically said. 

“You could never have enough of me.” He said, and he was right.

Our carriage, which was at the top, moved and started to make a loop.

“WAIT!” Zach said. I looked at him as he pulled out his phone and took a selfie of us. It was unexpected, and I probably looked bad in it.

“For the memories.” He said. He showed me the picture and I looked confused while he showed his bright smile. I ruffled his hair. He tightened my letterman jacket around himself as the ferris wheel began to slow down.

Slowly, the ride stopped. We were at the top again. I kissed Zach, as if to remember this place. I will never forget this day. 

People began to get off, while the ride moved to allow all the carriages to empty. It was finally our turn to get off.

“Watch your step.” The operator said. I gave him a smile, happy to see him.

When we got off, our legs were like jelly and it took them a while to restore the blood flow. When our legs were back to normal, I turned to Zach. He both looked at each other, eye to eye. We leaned in and kissed. I didn’t care that I was in public. I wanted people to know he was mine.

We pulled apart and he blushed while I ran my fingers through his hair.

“You’re very short.” I said while looking down at him.

“To be fair, we were sitting when we met.” He shyly said.

We started to lean in to kiss again when we heard our names.

“LEVI!”

“ZACHARY BARNUM!”