27 || Semi-Finals

• • •

• • •

I was hot, and sweaty. And the thought of fighting Tommy, one of my best friends and one of Cobra Kai's best fighters, made me want to throw up.

The ringing in my ears was loud as both Tommy and I stood ok the mat, I could tell by the look on his face, the way that his jaw was clenched hard enough that you could see the muscle, that he meant it when he said he wasn't going to go easy on me.

But I was glad, because I did too. I had gotten this far, trained so hard. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, convincing myself that Tommy was nothing to me, that instead of a best friend that I was fighting, it was just a random person.

I opened my eyes and got into my fighting position. The two of us circled one another for a second before he suddenly charged, the thought of Tommy being a random person instantly left my mind and him being my best friend came back and I groaned as I suddenly hit the mat.

I was only down for a few seconds before Tommy was helping me back up. I could see the ref's hesitancy in him helping me, him obviously being used to the aggression between the fighters.

"What was that, Lia?" Tommy said harshly as he examined my now bleeding nose. "I don't wanna fight you, Tommy," I admitted. "You have to, Lia. You worked so hard for this. Just, pretend I'm someone you hate." He said as he backed away from me.

I nodded, spitting the blood that was collecting in my mouth from accidentally biting my tongue. "You need a time out?" The ref asked. "No," I replied as I got in a fighting stance. I took a deep breath as I looked at Tommy.

I shook my head at the thought of hurting him and instead imagined him to be all bullies I had growing up. The second the flag was waved I ran towards him and roundhouse kicked him in the face, him instantly hitting the mat.

"Roundhouse. Point Larusso. One-One." The ref announced and I helped Tommy stand up. "Jeez. I took that way too literally." I said as I grimaced at his bloody nose, wiping some off with the sleeve of my gi. "No, really?" He said with a groan as the two of us backed away from one another.

I put my hands in a defensive position and Tommy did the same, the two of us circling one another. I could tell we were thinking the same thing. Neither of us wanted to lose, but neither of us wanted to be the reason the other lost.

I could tell by the silence that Bobby's match had finished and it was just this last point before the semi-finals. After a few more seconds, Tommy charged towards me and I stepped out of the way kneeing him in the stomach before he fell.

The crowd cheered as the ref lifted my hand. "Winner! Ophelia Larusso!" He said. I smiled at Mr. Miyagi, Daniel, and Ali before turning my attention to Tommy. I walked over to where he was standing and hugged him. "I'm sorry, Tommy!" I said.

"Don't be, Lia. You deserve this." He said as the two of us stood facing one another. "But so do you!" I replied, "There can only be one winner, Lia." He replied as he smiled. "No hard feelings, remember." He added when I shook my head, my body filled with guilt. I knew how hard he had been working for this. Years.