Chapter 27 : Gift box

Jimin glanced again at the gift box next to his chair. It was wrapped in a fine paper and there was a red ribbon at the top of the box. Overall it looked like a gift box just out of a Christmas advertisement. It's bright and colourful appearance was totally contrast to dull and dark interior design of the appartment.

Jimin subconsciously reached his hand towards the gift box. It's been a long time since he recieved a carefully wrapped gift like this. However  this gift is not to him either.

Before he could touch the gift Jungkook appeared to the living room making Jimin sit back straight. Jungkook looked at him and continued his call.

Jimin hugged himself to reduce his sense of existence and thought about the situation he's in now. He, again had become an eye witness...

Jimin didn't want to recall the scene he witnessed and he didn't want to guess what would happen to him if that person appeared at his store was not Jungkook. He didn't know what brought Jungkook there at the night but he was grateful whatever it was.

When Jungkook reached him, he was trembling and almost had a panic attack. It was only now that he had calmed down and gathered his wit again.

Jungkook ended the call and came to Jimin with a coffee. He placed the cup on the table and gestured Jimin to drink it.

"It was officer Kim." He said indicating the phone call.

"They are on their way to the crime scene. It would take sometime there. Tomorrow they will come to take a statement. So why don't you take some rest?"

Jimin felt extremely anxious hearing that he has to give a statement. Would they believehum? Also the latter problem... It was midnight. Where should he go? He didn't want to go near his appartment again. Should he go to Yoongi-hyung?

He didn't know if he had talked out loud to make  Jungkook say,

"Eh... Jimin.. You can stay here."

Jimin was surprised but he didn't want to trouble this man.

"No... no.. that's fine. I'll take a taxi to hyung's home."

"Jimin, it's hard to find taxis  in the midnight. And as officer Kim said, you should not walk around now. Spend the night here. Don't worry... I.. I won't hurt you. Tomorrow I'll ask Officer Kim to find a place for you."

This time Jimin was not only surprised but shocked. Was this the man who chased after him saying that he'd make him suffer and all. What made him so gentle all of a sudden. Jimin didn't want to trust the man so easily.

"Mr. Jeon.. I don't want to bother yo.."

"No. That's fine. You must be tired. I 'll prepare the guest room. There's some spare clothes. Take a wash and rest. "

"That...ah.."

Before Jimin could finish the sentence Jungkook stood up and almost ran to the guest room.

Ah.. It looks like he should spend the night here.

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

"Jimin."

"Hyung?"

"Jimin, it's really you. How are you? Jin was worrying about you."

"I know hyung. Sorry for leaving without saying"

Jimin said while looking down ashamed.

"That's fine. Remember to call him later. Or else he'd make me sleep on the couch."

"*giggles.. okay..."

Jungkook led two officers and Jimin to the living room and disappeared to his study room leaving the rest to continue their work. Later he'd find a report from Officer Kim anyway.

Jimin was feeling extremely anxious. It was the second time he had to give a statement and at the very first time no one believed him. What will happen now. Would they believe his story. If they find out his old police records , he'd easily entangled in this murder. It also did not help the presence of two policemen. Fortunately they were wearing casually.

Namjoon must've guessed these dark feeling as he tried to appease him.

"Jimin , tell us everything you witnessed that day. You don't have to worry too much. The surevival cameras already proved your innocence. "

Jimin looked up and exclaimed excitedly.

"They do??"

Namjoon chuckled.

"Yes. We've them except for what happened in the alleyway. So we need you to tell us exactly what you witnessed.

After being relieved by this news , Jimin told everything he witnessed throughout the day. It was not easy to review such a bloody scene again and again but he controled his nauseous feelings and told everything.

At the end of the statement Namjoon poured a glass of water to the trembling boy. Just after he calmed down he was caught off-guard by the abrupt question.

"What type of relationship did you have with the murderer.?"

Jimin was feeling nervous being questioned by the officer. He looked to the Namjoon who gave a reassuring smile.

"He was my Chemistry teacher in high school."

"Anything else?"

"Huh?"

Namjoon soon simplified the question.

" He's asking how were you two in high school and now. Was he friendly? Or a rude teacher?"

"No. He's very friendly. He was very young at that time. So spent much time with the students. They also liked him. He was very kind. That... That's why I was shocked.. to see him....."

Jimin poured another glass of water.

"What about you? Were you friends? "

"No... Mr. Kai indeed treated me kind. I was the Secretary in his club. We often worked together. Some people said he favoured me, but I think he was same with everyone."

Namjoon nodded and asked the other question.

"What about his relationship with Shin-hye?"

Jimin thought he misheard. But how could he mistake that name.

"Why... why are you asking about her?"

Looking at the pale boy Namjoon decided that they should not keep him in the dark anymore.

"Jimin I've something important to tell you. We've opened your case again."

"O..opened?"

"Yes.. We've already found enough evidences to prove your innocence and with this murder we finally found the real suspect."

"What.. what's that mean??"

Jimin asked amid his trembling teeth.

"The woman victimised by yesterday murder was Im Ye-jin. We suspect that Mr.Kai killed her regarding a property rival about his aunt's inheritance."

Infact when Namjoon went to the crime scene,  he was surprised to see the woman he was searching for. The woman's son was dead long ago but she was leading a very comfortable life with the money left by Young-ok including the nephew Ha-rim's part. Connecting with the Jimin's statement and the knife used in the Shin-hye's murder, it didn't take much time to conclude Mr. Kai is actually the run away criminal Ha-rim.

"Do you remember the knife they found in your room. Our investigations proved that the real owner was Kai or in his real name, Jin Ha-rim."

Jimin couldn't  believe his ears. Mr. Kai killed his sister? But why?

"Why?"

Namjoon had predicted the question and answered,

"This... we don't know. That's why we need your help. Jimin tell us everything. Everything even if you think it's unimportant. You had enough of sufferings. It's time to erase the past and bring justice to you and Shin-hye."

Namjoon silently let the boy cry all his grievances. Let him cry for all the pain and injustice he faced throughout these years. It's time to end this story. Jimin's story. And bring the light to his life again.

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇