Sixteenth Shot

Calix

"This wasn't the stag party I wanted." The idiot whined like a little kid when he sat beside me while I was on one of the benches in the mansion's backyard and handed me a can of beer. I came here for some quiet time but looks who's here to impose impolitely.

"Quit yapping. I know your fiancee wouldn't have allowed it anyway." Like any other guy, he wanted to have some strippers around and create the best stag party of the century. But the joke's on him, he has no other male guests aside from me and the other wedding sponsor who was the husband of Kari's friend who was the least interested in that happening. Plus, I heard that his fiancee wouldn't allow that to happen either or else, the wedding's off.

"Well, my wife's the jealous type, I'll give her that." He proudly said–as if anyone would be envious of him having a wife–and took a sip of his drink while I chose to put mine on the cold grass.

No way in hell am I going to drink tonight. Today's been a rollercoaster of events that makes me want to stay sober for a while. I also wanted to make sure Karina was sleeping well before I hit the sack. Did the dinner with her friends end already?

"For all I care, Elliot. Shouldn't you be going to bed by now?" Not that I care if he sleeps but I just want him out of my sight. I also needed the hint if his fiancee is done taking up Karina's time.

"I would love to sleep but Ash's not going to be with me as per stupid wedding traditions so I'd settle with annoying you instead." I can feel him grinning like an idiot so I stood from my seat because I am not going to allow him to continue talking.

My mood's already been bad since I saw Karina's ankle getting bandaged which disturbed me more than I initially thought. I need to know if she's resting and not doing god knows what or else, I might go insane.

"You're leaving? Already?" He tried to plead with that doe-eyed look while looking up at me so I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm leaving because there's a nuisance here." I turned my back from him and was about to leave but he said something concerning, "You do know that Ash's been grilling me for answers on what happened with the groomsmen and that sudden princess carry scene earlier." I stopped in my tracks without looking back at him.

"And?" What could he possibly say? I know that telling his fiance the truth would only make things go south. But if he dares snitch about the doctors earlier, I might throw him to the water and make sure no wedding happens tomorrow.

"Just thought you needed a reminder to not show off too much. You're giving me the obsessive boyfriend vibes." He teased but I scoffed in response. Boyfriend? Since when did the possibility of me committing to someone become probable? And look who's talking, it's the guy who plans to give everything up for love. What a load of bull.

"Should I tell your fiance then that your parents are actually against this wedding and disinherited you on the spot when they found out you're marrying her?"

I heard him shift from his seat, "Calix, don't you dare–"

"Don't test me, Elliot. I'll keep my mouth shut if you do." It was the last thing I said before walking away from him. I don't know why he's making such a big deal out of it and plans to hide this secret to his grave. Maybe he's scared that his blondie fiance's parents will find out that Elliot's own parents were the least excited for this union. It could mean a loss of business partners in the long run.

He practically lied that they couldn't attend because his mother was sick even if she's the most active 60-year old I've seen. I heard his parents burned the invitation and were literally banned from making an appearance at this wedding since they might create a scene.