14

A/N: not going to lie i got fucking bored and skipped right over the prefectural tournament/district,,, uhhhh forgive me<3

"cant sleep?" you heard gou mumble groggily from beside you on the queen sized mattress. you turned around to search for her face in the dark of your hotel room, squinting in the near pitch-dark

you shrugged, though you knew she likely couldn't see it, sitting up with a tired groan.

"i guess not," you huffed, a mere breath pushed out from between your lips, "i'm just so anxious- excited? nervous-cited? for the boys." an almost silent chuckle escaped you at your exhausted creativity.

gou caught the laugh, if you could even call it that, and allowed herself to giggle quietly through the darkness as well. "me too. i'm a little nervous for how haru will fair against my brother, and how they'll all act when they see each other again." gou sounded as nervous as she said she was, an anxious undertone to her sleep-filled voice. you frowned at nobody in the quiet room.

"i'm sure they'll be okay." you assured the girl, as you reached out to place a comforting hand on the outline of her shoulder. you squeeze a little. "besides, i'll be there to keep the fighting to a minimum."

gou snorted, shrugging your hand off as her small frame shook with laughter. "don't you mean you'll be there to incite the violence, y/n? come now, you can't fool me with that lie."

you feigned hurt, a hand raised to rest over your heart as you mocked gou with a gasp. "that is so hurtful, young miss! you should watch what you say to people!" your charade soon dissipated into your own hysterics, your laughter having risen a little in volume.

"oh please," gou waved a dismissive hand in your general direction. "like you ever watch what you say to people."

the two of you laughed a while longer, enjoying the moment you seem to have created in the stillness of the city that's long been asleep well after midnight.

"you know, y/n," gou started, her giggles having ceased, dying off in a flurry of laughter induced tears. "that's one of the things i truly admire about you."

confusion bloomed within you at her words, and your quirked an eyebrow at her as she fiddled with the edge of the white sheet between herself and the fluffy duvet above it.

"what are you talking about?" you questioned softly, fixed to look at her properly.

even in the less than ideal lighting, you can just barely see the corners of gou's mouth quirk up a little in a thoughtful smile.

"you don't worry about how people will respond to what you think, or say, or do," she raised her head to meet your eyes again, a sincere expression painted on her delicate features. "you just do it. you say what you believe and you stand by it, no matter what. you know that what you believe in is all that matters." gou took a deep breath, something distant and unreadable in her unfocused eyes.

you let out a deep sigh, and shudder as it' released from your lungs. "you know," you began to say, pausing for a moment to think just a little about your next words. "it took a lot to get this way." is what you'd decided on, simple, but you felt it got your point across, subtly.

"i know," she sighed, loose bun bouncing a bit as she shook her head. "but you became so strong, so proud, so compassionate. y/n, you protect everybody. even my brother, as wrong as he was, taught you a little bit of kindness, even if it felt like he stripped it away further. you have your own brand of kindness, and it impresses everyone."

your chest ached at your friends words, a sharp pain cut deep between your ribs. you chased the meaning of her words back and forth in your head, eyebrows drawn together in thought.